New Jeeper - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

New Jeeper

Well, I'm new to the jeep world, and my introduction to it was my latest purchase... a 1988 Jeep Wrangler with the 258 and the dreaded carter BBD. After beating my head against the fender with the carb, I replaced it with a rebuilt, and all has been (so far) right with the world. I even took it off-road a bit and even with the stock (read: beat) springs, crappy radials, and new driver, this thing could go places I didn't think you could make a wheeled vehicle go.

Needless to say... I'm hooked. I'm already planning upgrades. Any good starting pointers? I've been lurking around, but haven't been able to find anything beginner oriented. Beginner to jeeps that is; I've been twisting wrenches for 13 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 10:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: New Jeeper

1. welcome to the BEST jeep forum on the net.
2. keep your profile filled out as completely as possible.
3. first mod for any jeep that goes off road is a roll cage.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 10:40 AM

Welcome. You've got a lot of fun in your future.

As for modifications, don't worry about that. As you get experience you will know what you want to change. If you go offroad in mud, you might want to make engine modifications for more power. If you get into rock, you might want lower gears and lift. If it's woods trails and fireroads, you might not need to change anything. If you go hard core, you're going to want lockers and a winch no matter where you go.

Don't borrow troubles from the future. They'll get here soon enough.

Happy wheeling.

Edited: Except for what Leve said about a roll cage, and a fire extinguisher and first aid kit, too. But they're not really mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 10:48 AM
85Jeepny

Carter BBD = Evil
Torx = Root of all that is Evil

Welcome to the world of Jeeps....just lurk around, you will learn a ton here, the more you let us know what you want to do with your jeep, the more we can offer opinions...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Well, first of all the springs are seriously tired... Now, I priced stocker replacements from JC Whitney at about $300. I figure for another $200 I could go with a rubicon 2.5" standard kit. Secondly, the tires are passengar car radials that absolutely suck in the rain, let alone anything else, sooo... if I'm buying tires, why not go for 31"?

Only fly in the ointment is the 3.07 gears.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 12:25 PM
85Jeepny

I wouldn't buy the Rubicon Express STANDARD duty, it is just Pro-Comp springs....bad idea....go for BDS, Rubicon Express Extreme Duty, or 4 WD hardware maybe (heard it was BDS) Black Diamond is being put out again....2.5" lift I would think you could clear 32" tires....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 03:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Welcome to the board, like elusive said first thing to do is a roll cage thats attatched to your frame. Other things that you should get are recovery equipment, tow hooks, tow straps, high lift jack,cb radio,first aid kit, fire extinguisher.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 04:56 PM

I've got 2.5" Rancho lift on my '7 and I was able to put 32x11.5 BFGs on with no problems at all. I later added a 1" body lift. All has been good thus far. Except it rides like someone is jack hammering your kidneys! Anybody know if this is the Rancho springs or the Rancho 5000 shocks?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 05:15 PM

A lift and tires go hand in hand. I have 2" of lift and run 33" swampers, but I went pretty wild with the sawsall. I would go for the lift and tires first, in terms of modifications, and tie the roll cage in to the frame like Elusive said. Here's a partial list of stuff to have when you go 'wheeling:
Tow hooks both front and rear
Tow strap with loop ends not hooks
First aid kit
Fire extinguisher
Tool kit--at least a 3/8" socket set and a set of combinaiton wrenches, pliers and screwdrivers
WD-40
Duct tape
Chunk of insulated wire
roll of regular wire
Electrical tape

I'm sure others have more stuff to bring, this should get you started. Oh, also go with someone else that has the tow hooks etc.

Ken
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 07:11 PM

Welcome to the board. Read, read, read and read some more. You will figure out what is best for you.
AND DON'T be afraid to ask questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode