In need of a starter for flatty!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 06:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

In need of a starter for flatty!!!

I just aquired a 1949 Willy's flat fender that seems to be all stock. I do believe it has been converted to 12 volt due to the tag on the generator that is stamped 12 volt. The starter is really dragging until hangs up and won't even turn with a fresh battery. I took it off and the insides seem to be really loose. If someone might know of a place to get another starter I would really appreciate the help!!!!! I have no luck with the parts stores around here.. I had it running and really runs good and would like to get it started again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 07:54 PM
Enthusiast

Re: In need of a starter for flatty!!!

I am parting out the engine on my '48 CJ2A. The starter seems ok and worked last I tried. It has the original flat-head L-134. I will sell it for $30 plus shipping. It is heavy, so shipping could be expensive. Let me know if you are interested. If not, a good electrical repair shop should be able to repair yours.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 07:48 AM

i would recomment taking it to a shop that rebuilds starters and have them rebuild it. tell them you want it set-up for a 12V system and they should be able to do that. while you are at it, i would have them rebuilt the generator too.

the starter recently went out in my ski boat. the parts counter wanted $250, NAPA wanted $280...but, the guy at the parts counter said they NEVER recommend the genuine Mercruiser starters. they have all of their starters (from the service dept.) and recommend to their customers to take them to a place in town (Van's Electric) to get rebuilt. he experiences are the quality and internal mods that Van's does are far better than the factory stuff.

i'd call around and talk to the people. tell them what you want to do. you should be able to find someone that know what they are doing.

matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 12:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

One wierd thing with that flatfender, make sure the little brass bushing is in the bellhouseing for the starter. when i had my flatfender the P/O showed me that the bushing would fall out and you would have a bad time starting the jeep.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 12:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Eddie let me make a few calls and see what kind of price it will cost to have it rebuilt and compare price of shipping yours. My wife works for the P.O. so she can get me a estimated price. Your not to far from me so it shouldnt be to bad.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for that info Dan... I haven't got a repair manual on it yet so just kind of shooting from the head. I'll go check for that bushing and see if its there.... That would be nice if thats all it was... Thanks again...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode