Megasquirt fuel injection - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Megasquirt fuel injection

I have ordered a megasquirt kit and will experiment around with this fuel injection controller this winter. I plan to test it with a gm TBI unit on my 258. If I can get it to run well I will shared the code with all. I plan to use as much gm and univeral replacement parts as possible to keep the cost down and make duplicating the sucess as easy as possible. Would like to see a homebrewed TBI for under $500.00.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 07:22 PM

Re: Megasquirt fuel injection

I'd be interested. How much is the Megasquirt system?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 10:00 PM
Veteran

well my homebrew (aka ghetto) tbi was going along pretty cheap, but for some reason (oh yeah my stupid carb blew up) i had to expedite things and broke down and called howell. so basically i paid $100 for a really nice TBI unit and ECM and howell is charging $620 for the rest (entire kit minus tbi and ecm). so i still come out at $720 for the entire thing and all howell stuff except for the tbi and ecm, guess i cant complain, at least ill be able to get my jeep running again.

what the heck is a megasquirt?

-web
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 10:09 PM

I couldn't even begin to describe it's capabilities. Read <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html>here</a>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 10:40 PM
Veteran

whoa, needed some coffee before that

nice concept though, seems like it would eliminate alot of the "complication" of the tbi conversion not having to deal with ignition stuff and stick strictly with just fuel/air, essentially like a computer controlled carb, but with the benefits of fi, hmmm
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

I emailed a guy in Russia that installed a TBI unit on his 258 CJ using megasquirt and he says it runs great. Sent me pictures and all. I hope to get the ecu kit some time this month. I'll start gathering the other hard parts before snow hits the ground. I will use a new fuel pump of course, and the custom efi site has info on stock pumps that will work well for a gm tbi. I want to avoid using anything oddball, other than the homemade ecu, that way it will be easy to get replacement sensors, etc. I'm lucky to now have a heated garage to work in this winter, so I can do some jeep projects as work slows down and winter sets it. Worst case scenario, if it doesnt run on Sunday night, I can slap the MC2100 carb back on and drive it for the work week.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 05:20 PM

I'm on the current list to get a MS, and I am plan on having it operate a 4.0 intake manifold on my 84 CJ-7. I'll definately keep the board advised with my progress and my experiences. A local friend of mine is buying one for his 304 as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode