Start n go, or warm her up ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 03:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Start n go, or warm her up ?

Thats the jist of it.... just want to know what you do and WHY ! I get the full range of answers from everyone and on both sides...

warm it up - or you damage your engine.

Don't warm it up - just start n go as all the damage is done when its cold so you gotta get it to heat asap !

What the hell is the truth !???

FYI its a rebuilt 258 with 1500miles on the clock after doing 89k miles as a normal 258...

Cheers
g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 03:47 PM
Addict

Re: Start n go, or warm her up ?

This has been discussed and the answer I thought made the most sense, as long as you don't have any cold running problems, was to go ahead and drive it. Just don't get on it until it is up to operating temp. Meaning keep the RPM's down 'til it's warmed up. My .02.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 03:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cool - i couldn't find anything on it...

cheers

g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 08:51 AM
renocj7

I tend to treat my jeep just like my harley and let it warm up first. the oil is thicker when cold and is a little slower moving to the areas that need lubed and as the motor cools and contracts the tolorances between the head and block loosten up a little. when the block gets warm the clamping pressure rises and helps to seal the gead gaskets better. Just my $.02
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 07:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I believe it was LEVE who said a while back that if you knew the turmoil that goes on inside an engine, it's a wonder they even run at all!

I let mine warm up religiously. If you want to be really anal, like me, let it warm up for about one minute, then put it in neutral and let it continue to warm up (if an automatic). Then drive easy for the first mile or so. Oh, and make sure motor-driven accessories (like AC) are off before starting.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 09:03 PM

If you use a good quality synthetic oil, or PTFE type oil additive, you can minimize the damage right at startup. Fram also has an oil filter with a little flapper valve in it that keeps the oil in the filter so it is already full at startup--saving time getting oil to all the parts of the engine. The biggest cause of wear at startup is lack of lubrication. That is why should let your engine warm up a bit before taking off. I DON'T usually let it idle until it gets to operating temp. I DO let it run for a moment to get lube to all the parts--and in the case of my cold blooded engine start to run smooth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode