Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   And the parts store monkeys do it again! (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/134495-parts-store-monkeys-do-again.html)

AllLockedUp 09-03-2002 01:10 PM

And the parts store monkeys do it again!

I've been helping a friend do a head job on an 83 Toy p/u with the 22R engine. We took the head off and sent it out to a local parts chain that does machine work to have it shaved and inspected. We got the head back on the other day, and when we fired it we found that there was no compression in #4. After some debating and futzing around with the timing chain, we pulled the head back off. We flipped it upside down and poured some water into the combustion chambers, which promptly went flowing out the exhaust runner. Turns out the idiot forgot to seat the valve! Back to the store we go, maybe this time they'll get it right!

RocknCJ 09-03-2002 01:47 PM

Re: And the parts store monkeys do it again!

Always use a reputable machine shop. PepJerks/AutoJerks are good to re-plenish your supply of Gojo and wax for your tow rig. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

jamgood96 09-03-2002 02:29 PM

Is pouring water down the head a good thing? In auto shop, we used gasoline.

knifeboy2 09-03-2002 03:11 PM

As long as you don't let the water sit and corrode the metal then its not a problem. I can understand using gas because that is what would come in contact with the head during use, but I also see that as a hazard. There is the chance of a spill and quite frankly the less time I need to spend with gas the better. But back to my point, the water won't matter.

JEEPN 09-03-2002 03:25 PM

I agree, if I need something off the shelf, I go to those stores, otherwise I visit NAPA. Too bad they're so high priced on everything.

AllLockedUp 09-03-2002 03:52 PM

Normally, these guys are good. When I worked at a PepBoys-type store, it's the same place we sent out the heads we were working on. To forget something as simple as how to install a valve correctly though is pretty bad. The chain is like a local NAPA, quality parts - not cheap stuff like Advanced Auto.

The amount of water we poured into #4 was negligible, maybe a cup. The exhaust runner sees more moisture as a byproduct of combustion.

mopar4ever 09-03-2002 05:53 PM

You did not mention it but did you adjust the valves after you installed the head? They would have to really screw up to cause the volume you describe. However as Grandpa Jones said "truth is stranger than fiction". Also did you check for valve to piston clearance before you torqued the head? Look on the top of the piston for nicks.

Jackie

AllLockedUp 09-03-2002 07:15 PM

Yes, we adjusted the valves quite a few times. They did really screw up, after we did the water trick we looked more closely at the #4 exhaust valve, and there was a small (1/32") gap under the valve. The piston is in fine shape, they have a funky shape anyways, so the valve cleared the piston.