Water Damage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 01:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Water Damage

so the weather report last night said it was supposed to be clear all day todayand into the night, so the top stayed off my 98 TJ, but around 4pm there was a torrential downpour and at 5 when i checked to see if my jeep was still in the parking lot at work... i find 6 inches of standing water in my floor board. now i know that Jeep's are supposed to be generally waterproof for the most part, but what can i do other than simply leave it in the sun to dry out my seats and what not? I removed the carpet and pulled the plugs already and have fans running all night on the sucker, but i am afraid i am going to have some damage from this storm.. any comments or suggestions? I am sure there are plenty of Jeepers out there that this or something like it has happened to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 01:23 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: Water Damage

If it were a CJ or a YJ, I'd say don't worry. But I've heard too many stories of TJ's having water problems to tell you that. Mainly it's the dash. I've heard of funny things happening, like wipers coming on on their own. Things like that. I just say dry it as best you can, check everything out and make sure it's not going to blow, then start her up and drive her. She'll let ya know what's wrong real quick. Well...hopefully
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 01:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

While not technically the same thing, all 3 of my past and present Jeeps (55, 81, and 75 CJ5's) have never had tops on them aside from bikinis and never suffered any appreciable rainstorm damage. During the summer monsoons the seats tended to get a little "wet dog" smell, but once it dried out the smell went away. With the TJ I'd only be concerned with your radio and other dash mounted electronics, the seats and rug should dry out and be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 04:56 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Aaah, don't worry about it. We have driven a lot of times topless in the rain, gone "puddle jumping" (see pic), and I've even stood on the rear bumper and pressure washed the dash board (hey, it was dirty and under warranty). The cassette deck didn't survive, but everything else was OK.

OK, now to explain a little so you all don't think I'm a complete chowderhead (Maine slang for a moron). I have taken the dash completely apart and installed various swiches for lights and whatnot. Taking it apart is fairly easy, and it's amazing how well built everything is. It's protected especially against water, so I have no problem washing it down (besides it's advertised with the "hose-down interior"!). The dash lexan extends below the steering column, the speakers have a foam shield to protect against water, and everything under there has a waterproof connection on it.

We have been caught many times in downpours without the top, and had to squeege off the inside of the windshield. We have also left the top off it in the summer and not worried about the rain, it's one of the reasons we specifically ordered the vinyl interior, it's "towel-dry and ready".

The TJ is actually the wife's, and she loves the power of the 4.0. Well, the pic was taken up to camp, where she and some of her friends like to get kinda wild and crazy. They'll power into a puddle (like the one pictured), and then stop in the middle and let the water shower down on them. This usually goes on for an hour of so, until everything is good and soaked. All in good fun.

We have also had it buried in numerous mud pits and trails, and completely coated the interior. Instead of trying to get every nook and cranny clean, one day I decided to "test" the hose-down interior, and since it was under warranty I didn't mind. It was at work and we had a pressure washer then, and between the rain storms and puddle jumping, I threw caution to the wind and just blasted it. The cassette deck didn't survive, but everything else was fine, no problems, and that was like 4 years ago (about 80,000 miles). We have also had the TJ in water 1/2 way up the doors, which are water tight, and there have been no adverse effects. We now have 118K on the odometer, and it's a tight as a drum, and while we don't abuse it like we used to, it hasn't shown any adverse effects from the early ordeals.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 06:04 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I'm glad this question was asked. I've got a friend who drives a TJ and he left the top off a week or so back and got everything soaked. He was worried about it and wanted to take the dash apart and rebuild it with better waterproofing. I convinced him that the manufacturers had planned for water to get in and that he should leave the dash how it was. As for his seats he's got the cloth and they didn't drain so quick. Oh well, towels work well from keeping your bum dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode