New to 4x4s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 07:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New to 4x4s

ok so i wana buy a jeep wrangler straight 6. I am looking for a year rang of a 90-93 cuz there cheaper. Now should i get a man or auto?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 07:57 PM

Re: New to 4x4s

Depends on your taste and driving style really. I really wouldn't own a jeep with an Auto tranny in it, but that's just the way I am, I feel like I have more control with the manual tranny, especially up here in NH when the snow starts to fly
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 10:02 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Can you fill out your profile? What do you want to do with the Jeep? Where do you live? Snow? Daily Driver or off-road rig? Modified or stock? Give us a little more info and we can help with the answers. Do you prefer a stick or auto?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 12:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 4.0 came out in 91 or 92 so try to get one of those. That way you have fuel injection which can be much more reliable. Manual vs. automatic is all about personal preference. Some people like the control of a manual while others like the ease of use of an automatic.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 12:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

The 4.0 came out in '91. If you decide to get a pre-'91, try and find an '89 or '90 with an AX15....no Peuogot!!![img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]...YUK!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 04:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok so i should look for a 91 or 92. I live in Michigan and i will be using the jeep for off roading and in the winter time when theres snow. I will do a lift kit to it but not sure how high yet. I thought a manual would be better because u can control it much better.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 11:02 AM
Old Hand

A few issues back, in JP magazine, there was an article about the pros and cons of each.
I have an auto in mine and love it. Especially offroad.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 12:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

and the pros and cons are? Could someone tell me plz. I have seen a really nice jeep with a 4.0l auto. Low milage and good price. No rust.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 01:01 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I don't know exact pro's and con's of one vs. the other, but either is good. It all really depends on driving style and personal preference. I'm still young and have good knees so pushing in a clutch doesn't bother me. If your not used to driving a manual then it'll take some getting used to. If you like eating and talking on the cell phone while driving with your knees then maybe a manual isn't for you. It is also possible to get very slightly better gas milage with a manual if you drive it conservatively. With an auto there is no shifting to worry about if your taking it offroad. It'll be a lot tougher to stall while climbing that massive rock. So either one works great both on and off the road. Some people will only buy one or the other. Personally I love the manual. Its fun and a slight theft deterrent since most college kids don't know how to drive it. So I guess the choice of what is better is up to you and what your willing to drive.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 01:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

oh ok thanks. I don't really know how to drive a manual greatly yet. I drove my bros car around the block and i didn't stall it. I just made it jurk lol. But i can learn it fast. I would think a man is beter cuz you can control the gearin better and get more tourqe when needed. Also better performance i think. But i'm gonna have this jeep for both on and off road aswell. I'm also thinking about doint a lift on it but not sure how hight yet. I don't want it to high where i can't turn at like 15mhp...don't wana tip over lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode