Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   anyone use turbo city (rock-it)or K&N FIPK (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/134360-anyone-use-turbo-city-rock-k-n-fipk.html)

bigbad8 09-02-2002 06:30 PM

anyone use turbo city (rock-it)or K&N FIPK

i would like to get rid of the factory air box on the 92yj. Fuel inj. I6-4.0
I was hoping to get feedback on turbo City's air intake system.
I would Really like to use the K&N FIPK for the jeep, but as far as i see, they don't make one for wranglers. Can the 4.0 I6 cherokee FIPK be used in a wrangler??
Is changing the throttle body worth it as well?
The I6 has 104,000 miles. Thanks.

gigolo 09-02-2002 06:51 PM

Re: anyone use turbo city (rock-it)or K&N FIPK

Well they make one for tj wranglers, haven't looked for one for a yj. I have one and it does add some performance. If I were to do it again I would buy a conical K&N filter and make the tube myself, it's just plastic. Really doesn't look like $250 worth of stuff when you get it. Just my .02

webjeep 09-02-2002 08:38 PM

Do you take your jeep off road?

If you're going to do anything besides race hondas in the mall parking lot why not look into a snorkel. Gives you the cold air intake, a decent filter, and actually has a practical purpose for a jeep (keeps water and crap from getting sucked into your intake), and if you have a little fabrication skill you can put one together for alot less than those rice racer intake kits cost.

as far as the throttle body stuff i will leave that for one of the injection gurus.

-web

Bryan 09-03-2002 11:13 AM

I have the turbo city air intake. It came with a K&N filter - cylindrical shaped filter.
Works great. Intake is very high now. Frees up some space where the airbox use to be.

mindbender 09-03-2002 04:00 PM

I just finished making an intake system for my CJ7. I picked up a K&N filter at NAPA during their BAG sale. Selected a cylindrical filter that fits a late model explorer. Looks like it could fit a John Deere Diesel. Took some flat sheet steel, next time probably would use heavy aluminum, and bent it to fit over the rubber intake tube - after cutting about 1/2 of the rubber tube off. I discovered that the tube of sheet metal just fit inside the K&N filter and just over the top of the rubber tubing. A perfect fit. I then put a couple of fitting in the tube to use for crank ventilation and something else. This was one (maybe the only one) of those projects that actually turned out easier than I planned. It nestles alongside and over the power steering pump and extends to the corner of the engine compartment. The hood even shuts over it.

jamgood96 09-03-2002 05:21 PM

I my buddies TJ has a fancy intake thingy on his 4cyl. It sounds like a godamn honda. It wistle LOUD too!! Kinda cool the first few minutes, but then it gets annoying. Thank god it's only when he's on the gas hard.

bigbad8 09-03-2002 08:34 PM

i am just curious to know if it makes any improvement to the engine. I will probably copy the turbo design and make my own. it definately seems easy enough.
As for teh snorkel. Maybe on the CJ, but the wifes YJ definately couldn't sport a snorkel. she'd downright kick my arsse.

webjeep 09-03-2002 09:06 PM

ah hell go with the snorkel and tell her that is some new fangled space age ram air intake and will make her jeep faster, get better gas mileage, clean the environment, and promote world peace :-) that's what i tell my girl everytime i want to blow an absurd amount of money on a new toy :-) but then you may have a point, i dont think mine would go for a snorkel on the volvo :-)

-web

GeeAea 09-03-2002 10:14 PM

I'm sure that a good bit of the price of those air tube products is for the CARB certification. I believe that Rusty's air tube doesn't have it and is much less then TC's Rock-it tube.

I'd go to Home Depot and buy the proper sized coupler for the throttle body (the rubber thingie that has two hose clamps on it) and get an exhaust shop to bend and expand tubing to your needs. I'm sure that you can adapt (weld) a tube on there for your CCV (or pcv as it may be).

yjdave 09-07-2002 09:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
after pricing K + N, Rock-It, and others, I opted to piece one together. Off to the U pull it, where I picked up 4 or 5 pieces of air intake tubing off different vehicles. I wasn't sure exactly how I would run it, so I got a variety. I then went to Lowes and picked up a 45degree PVC connector. AutoZone for a Cone Shaped filter. After a couple different set ups I settled on this.. See Attachment Filter was $15, $4 for junkyard parts, 88 cents for PVC.. Clamps and hose I had. works great....