how to get longer wheel base? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 05:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

how to get longer wheel base?

hey ive got a 78 cj5 and am doin a widetrac axle swap/ spring over in a couple months. and am thinkin about making the wheel base longer. what are some ways of doing this? i want it around 100 or so. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 05:59 PM

Re: how to get longer wheel base?

That's a lot of work! You're picking the shortest CJ in that era and making it the second longest. If I remember, a CJ-5 has an 83" (or thereabouts) wheelbase. A CJ-7 is 10" longer, while a CJ-8 is around 105". Don't forget about the CJ-6, I don't know the WB though. You're talking lengthening the framerails at a minimum, and stretching the tub if you want. Drivetrain modifications would also be necessary.

If it were me, I'd find, buy, or make a CJ-8 frame and modify it to accept the stock CJ-5 body and have meeself a little rock buggy!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 06:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yea thats exactly what i was thinkin. find an scambler frame and put everything on it. would the cj5 body bolt right on? or would i have to move the mounts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 07:10 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

There was a CJ8 frame on ebay recently for less than a few hundred.

I'm lengthening my '79 CJ5 to 104" or 100" (haven't decided yet) by adding to the frame and body. I've always wanted a CJ6, so I'm making one! I like the doors on the older CJs. I also want the extra space for camping and such.

Fritz
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 07:11 PM

See your local chevy dealer.[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I had to say that. LOL
There are a bunch on here that have done it. Actually you might contact ricochet. He is about to do it and has a 5 too. You might compare notes.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 07:13 PM

You will have to move the mounts, although I am not sure which ones. While it is hard to find Scrambler frames (nevermind one that's worth restoring!), I would think that you could find one, move the mounts, and beef the frame for less than the cost of a new one which you'd have to cut the mounts off anyways.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 08:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you want to keep leaf sprigs just add to your frame in the back. if you go to a link suspensing just slide it back. i would also move the front a couple of inched forward while you were at it. i have a lengthened cj5 and when i did mine i cut the thing in half and lengthened it like that. my jeep actually looks more like a cj6 now. my wheelbase is 100" on the money. i lengthened the frame and body 15" and the front was moved forward 1.5". this way gives you alot more interior room but if you use your jeep as a trail rig like i do what you end up with is alot more sheet metal to ding, bend, scratch, etc.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 09:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

alright thanks for all the info guys. ill do some more research and ask more questions later.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 09:59 PM

Well in my opinion, it would probobly be a lot easier to lengthen the frame from the rear, but I only have one pic in my collection, and it is of the front, but the basic theory is the same.. Just have to add a little more metal to the frame...

Sorry I can't credit this rig, I usually name the pics after the user.. (If you know whoes it is, please let me know...)..

Anyway, this looks like it would work, but it has to be easier on the rear.. No moving of the steering components...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 11:13 PM
madmaxx

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Well in my opinion, it would probobly be a lot easier to lengthen the frame from the rear, but I only have one pic in my collection, and it is of the front, but the basic theory is the same.. Just have to add a little more metal to the frame... Sorry I can't credit this rig, I usually name the pics after the user.. (If you know whoes it is, please let me know...)..

Anyway, this looks like it would work, but it has to be easier on the rear.. No moving of the steering components...

<hr></blockquote>

Actually the extra metal on the frame there is for the outboard springs for my full size axles. I did move the axle about 1.5" forward but did not have to move the steering box. In the rear I flipped the shackle hanger around and moved the mount back and made a relocation shim. There was a thread about this just a few weeks ago about this where we went into more detail. anyway, I got my wheelbase out to about 102". This is what its looking like now

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode