Flailing Driveshaft !! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 05:37 PM
cj80carr

Flailing Driveshaft !!

Yesterday evening my jeep left me stranded for the first time since I got it together. I think it was my fault so I can't blame it on the old girl.I was out running to the store for the wife and was in the middle turn lane slowing down to make a left,downshifted to second and the driveshaft let loose at the t-case. WOW!!! I can only imagine what it would sound like at 60 mph. After it got done beating my floor board to death with the help of a guy that appeared out of nowhere we pushed it off the road. He let me use his cell phone to call the better half to come save me. She didn't like it real well when I told her she would have to sit in the jeep and guard it while I went back home for tools.The joint didn't bust I think the little cap screws that hold the straps to the yoke came loose one snapped off in the yoke, one was gone and the other two I found in the road.So after a flying trip home for tools I got back to find the jeep safe and my wife in a little better mood, a nice looking policeman had talked to her to see if she was ok.
I finished taking the driveshaft off and limped home in front wheel drive. This morning i got up and got a new U joint, took the yoke off a spare t-case i have and got it going again. I noticed i have three different kinds of cap screws holding everything on. I have the ones for an allen wrench, 6-point external torques and something that looks like 12-point, which i didn't have the socket for. So tomorrow i'm getting all allen wrenches. I think thats all i'll be able to find. Lesson learned from all this carry the right tools with ya and check those strap bolts every so often. And buy your wife a Dairy Queen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 05:50 PM

Re: Flailing Driveshaft !!

Yep - at 60 you'd probably be hurting or dead right now. I've seen pics of a Jeep that lost its rear shaft at the t-case while at highway speed. The driveshaft worked like the pole in a pole vault, the Jeep flipped numerous times killing the driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode