if i run 33 with say 4.88 will.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 05:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if i run 33 with say 4.88 will....

i only have 151ci with a 5 speed i have 32" on it would like to put 33" i have plenty of clearence seeing [censored] i've cut the fenders way out (they where all rusty so why not)how low should i gear it and will my amc20 and dana30 handle lockers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 05:38 PM

Re: if i run 33 with say 4.88 will....

Please see <a target="_blank" href=http://tellico.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=offroadjeepshort&amp;N umber=875269&amp;page=0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb= 5&amp;o=1&amp;fpart=>this</a> thread that's currently being debated.

If you plan on staying with the 151, I'd say 4.88s would be fine given the 151's less than desirable power. The drivetrain you have will handle lockers. If you at some point plan on swapping out the engine, then I'd put my money into Dana 44s with Lock-Rights, at a minimum. That way, if you do swap the engine you already have the drivetrain to handle it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 05:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i was thinking maybie puting a 6 in her but i'm not sure it only see the road long enough to get off-road and i would like to keep the cost down some. if i did go with a 6 which should i use and will i need to beef up my driveline much to handle it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 05:54 PM

If you're not going to offroading it, then you could stick with the drivetrain you have now. As for a six cylinder choice, there are plenty of decent options - a Chevy 4.3L TBI, the Jeep 4.0 HO from a '92 + up donor, or even a good running 4.2L 258 with fuel injection if you can find one cheap enough.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 06:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

heck its always off road it's just a toy
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 09:46 PM

I used this claculator page <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gljt.org/Pages/4LoCalc.htm>http://www.gljt.org/Pages/4LoCalc.htm</a> and pulged in if you cj originally came with 28" tires and will be running 33's 4.88's will be the same as running 28's and 4.10's and puts the motor back into the stock rpm rage. As for the drivetrain holding up it all depends on how you wheel and where you wheel. You will defientally want to put some 1 piece shafts in the rear and consider a d44 front or some 297x u-joint shafts for the d30 since they are most likely going to brake. it all depends on how you wheel though some people can make weak axles last for ever while others murder them. I cracked a cap (didn't really kill the u-joint but i was close) on a 297x u-joint when my tj was stock and running 30" bfg at's w/ a 4.0 and my nutzo driving style so you can murder anything if you try hard enough.

Barrelroll
BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode