2 Questions: Radiator & steering - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 05:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

2 Questions: Radiator & steering

First question:
just bought a new radiator for my 95' 2.5L YJ. Its an aftermarket and it hooked up fine, but there are 2 nipple connections at the bottom of the radiator. what the heck are these for? i just left them alon and hooked everything up,, nothing leaks, everything seems fine. A/C? why?

2nd question:
I have a 3" body lift, 3.5" suspension. my steering is fine, except as i accelerate, the wheel gets stiff and doesnt wanna turn till i ease off the gas. this causes an annoying problem if you could imagine. what should i be looking at here?
thanks in advance fellas.

crock 95yj 2.5L, lifted, 33" MT's, runs like a beat dog til i engage 4low [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 05:25 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: 2 Questions: Radiator & steering

The radiator nipples are for auto tranny cooling lines.

Can't help you with the steering but 3" body lift is a bit ridiculous.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 05:42 PM

Three inch body lifts are pretty extreme for anything. When you put such an extreme lift on the body, the steering shaft is maxxed out. I can almost bet that as you accelarate and the vehicle weight shifts towards the back, the steering shaft is binding, therefore causing the stiff steering you describe.

The fix is a longer shaft, such as one from either Borgenson or Flaming River. If you have metal fabrication skills, you should be able to either modify your stock shaft and make it work or build a new one with new shaft joints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 06:20 PM

The steering prob sounds like a PS pump going bad.
That is a typical problem, when the bypass valve starts to stick. As you rev the engine the rpms on the pump increase, and when it gets to a point where it is building to much pressure it releases some of the extra pressure through a bypass, when the bypass isnt working well it causes the extra pressure to try and force itself through the high pressure line, since i t cant force that much pressure through, it causes cavitation,, and pressure drops to the steering box.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 07:17 PM

Does the problem goes away on decel, or at certain speeds or throttle conditions? He only said that it happens while accelerating. I can guess that he still has the stock shaft, which is prone to binding with large body lifts even just while sitting and turning the wheels. I guess we need a little more information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode