how do i identify exactly what tranny is in my YJ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 05:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

how do i identify exactly what tranny is in my YJ?

i am gonna need some tranny work done (she keeps popping out of reverse and i have to baby it to KEEP it in reverse) a friend told me i can just have the reverse gears/sync taken care of but i need to know what i have... any clue on how i can figure it out? i know it had previous work done on it and i have a hole the size of the grand canyon around the shifter.. thats about it though. how can i be sure it is whatever stock 5 speed it should be....?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 05:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: how do i identify exactly what tranny is in my YJ?

88 5 spd. be a Peugot, POS, HORRIBLY expensive to fix. Time to put in something better! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 05:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what would you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 05:10 PM

It's prolly a BA10/5 but here is a link where you can get all the good info...
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/trans/ba10.html>http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/trans/ba10.html</a>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 05:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

It's prolly a BA10/5...

<hr></blockquote>

Just for your info, the BA10 is the Peugot, so not to confuse the issue. There is no bolt in replacement for the BA, whatever you choose will have to involve some modification. Depends on what you plan to do with the vehicle.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 05:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thank you for the clarification... my blonde roots show on occassion... i figure if i have to do something might as well do it right the first time... EVENTUALLY she is going to take me rock crawling... but being a poor white girl... eventually is the key word... so what would the consensus be as to what to replace the stock tranny with?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 05:56 PM

Re: how do i identify exactly what tranny is in my

if you have the 4 cylinder, the transmission should be the AX5.. if you have the 6 cylinder it should have the dreaded peugot .... another way to tell, is the peugot trans case can be separated in half, kinda lika a walnut, with a drivers side, and a passenger side.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 10:02 PM

My buddy just replaced his pos ba10 w/ an ax15 in his 88 cherokee i can't rember if he had to swap t-cases or not to put it in but it was a "near" bolt in. If you want to go bullet proof and do it right the 1st do an nv4500 swap, that thing is about as industractable as you can get. Look in quadratec they are selling conversion kits though they run about 2 grand w/ a new tranny and you might need a later model t-case w/ the right spline count. You can use a junk yard tranny and all do some research to find it all out i'm not expert.

Barrelroll
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 11:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

whatever you do I wouldn't recomend having any work done on that POS peugot. Before I knew anything about jeeps I blew mine up and it took a month and $1500 to get it back on the road.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 12:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I second that....as much as it seems like a good deal or good thing to do, don't fix the Peougot!!! Even if it's rebuilt, or even brand new, it's not meant for anything BUT a Peougot!!! I've heard it's not too hard to slap an AX-15 in it's place. It's not an AWESOME tranny, but it's much strong than your current tranny, and cheaper to work on. Mines held up so far pretty good with a 6cyl and 35's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode