ATTN CJTAZ top question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

ATTN CJTAZ top question

Are you running 1/2 doors and soft uppers with your 1/2 cab or full hard doors? My soft uppers don't fit and I think I can make them fit with a little modifying (big hammer) but I was wondering if you had solved this already. For some reason I thought you posted a picture with 1/2 doors and the half cab but I can't find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 04:07 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: ATTN CJTAZ top question

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Are you running 1/2 doors and soft uppers with your 1/2 cab or full hard doors?

<hr></blockquote>Yes.

If it's just the pins, I used a big crescent and big monkey wrench to make adjustments. I set the top for the hard doors first and then adjusted the soft uppers to fit. Got any buds with hard doors they'll loan you long enough to check the top fit and windshield angle?

<font color=red>Before everybody asks again, the rollbar is back in.</font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I have full hard doors too and they fit... The YJ soft uppers don't fit the contour of the 1/2 cab. They are kind of flat up the side (I could take a picture but I am wore out maybe tommorow). I was thinking about bending the frame to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 10:12 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Sounds like you're talking about the OEM style soft top doors. I'd think it would be a lot of work and would never be quite right. I THINK the Steelhorse and Bestop replacement tops use an upper door that would match the contour you need. Their tops work with the OEM hard doors.

These uppers come up on ebay regularly, although the type you've already got come up more frequently. My uppers sliders came off ebay, new factory seconds (scratches in paint on inside window frame from the way they pack them) for $175 plus $40 shipping. The seller was m.o.r.p. and I'd recommend him. I had a problem with the first set I got from him, he had them picked up and sent another set. Still had to pop the window with the center seal out and do a little filing on the aluminum, but for $215, I like 'em.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 02:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

taz thats sure a pretty jeep does it ever leave the streets
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 08:06 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Thanks, I've gotten compliments on it since I first bought it. I've had people roll down their windows at a traffic light just to compliment it. Kids love it.

My off-roading is pretty much limited to construction sites anymore. I do automotive conveyor work and we're out in the mud at new plants or additions often. I've been called upon a few times to help out somebody who got stuck. I laughed when I saw a POSED off-road photo on this board of a Jeep part way up a trail. The entrance to the dirt parking lot we were using at the Claycomo plant was steeper than that and rutted from the dump trucks. I didn't consider this as off-roading because Cadillacs and Jaguars were not having much problem with it unless there had been a lot of rain. It's a man made mound to appease the neighboring residential area so they can't see the plant.

Snow and ice are other problems here. They shut down the plants from Christmas to New Years and that's one of our installation windows. I need to be there. I remember one Dec. 26th a few years ago when there was an ice storm. They didn't deliver mail and the news had footage of city salt/sand/plow trucks that had slid off the highway, some overturned. I got to the plant without even using 4WD but it was comforting to know it was there if I needed it.

I get some flames on this board for it being basically a street Jeep but I pretty much ignore the ignorance. I purchased it over 15 years ago, that was before it became an IN thing to own.

Here's the hood:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode