Clicking noise.... what is it?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 12:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Clicking noise.... what is it??

While doing the prep work for my Herculiner project, we removed the cover plates for the shifters and used some Simple Green to clean off the 1/8" of dirt and grime caked to everything underneath the covers. Now that we've reassembled everything, there is a clicking noise (that seems to come from there) that wasn't there before. When I drove it the other day, it seemed that the clicking would start when I would first start going and increase with the rpm's. Then, when I come to a stop, as soon as I push the clutch in, the clicking stops. What could this be? What else should I do to maybe shed a little more light on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 02:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: Clicking noise.... what is it??

Well, I'd assume you probably got some simple green or water in your tranny or something. That was what you were spraying, right?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 03:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yep. If this Is the case, is this gonna cause problems? If so, how do I take care of it?

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 04:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

"Is this gonna cause problems?"

Well, water and trannies does not mix!!![img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] So think about that.[img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] My suggestion would be to drain the fluid ASAP and refill it. Then go from there. I don't know enough about trannys to know what the water could of done, so maybe someone else can enlighten you on that. Hope I helped some?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 04:27 PM

Manual transmissions are pretty resilient to water, unless you've got an 8th ocean in there. I would drain the transmission and refill with clean oil. You'll be able to tell if there was a significant amount of water if the oil looks milky. I don't think you've done any damage, but definately change the oil. If the problem persists, you may have driven some dirt into the input shaft bearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode