CJ7 Tub NEED your Opinions and Experience - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

CJ7 Tub NEED your Opinions and Experience

Well I "Attempted" to put in the Front Floor board that I had purchased a few months and I discovered that I really had no idea the extent of the cancer in the body. Also you need to remove the body from the frame and install the Front Floor board from underneath the body.
Well needless to say the cancer is so bad that I am going with the 4WD Fiberglass body. My question is what about the seatbelt spool mounts? Do they mount in the same place as in a steel body? And can I use my steel tailgate and a steel windshield and what about all the hardware.

Please I really need your Help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 877429-Jeep.JPG (88.7 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 11:53 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: I Really need your Opinions and Experience

I ran a fiberglass body for years and loved it. Tough as nails and you never have to worry about rust. That said..... I would recommend a YJ tub for a CJ7. They are plentiful, usually the same price or cheaper than a fiberglass and you don't have to cut a bunch of holes in it they are already there. A steel body swap would be alot easier to do on a CJ7. If you had a 5 or a 3 or CJ8, something that there was not an abundance of good tubs to be had cheaply I would recommend the glass tub. And don't just scrap that old body somebody might want to cut the cancer out and make a beater out of it [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 11:57 AM
Addict

Had the same problem with my 83. I fiberglassed the floor with matting and resin I bought at Pep Boys. I also need a new body, but I'm trying to hold off for a while. I am going to go with a steel body.

Why:
Everything on fiberglass needs it's own ground or some sort of ground bar. Also, anytime you screw something new on the body, you would need to put a nut on the backside...no self tapping screws here. Make sure there are provisions for seat belt mounts and the rear tire carrier if you have one that mounts to the body. I can bang a dent out of metal, not so sure about the fiberglass. These are just some of my thoughts on the idea even though I have never owned a glass body.

I would check with the manufacturere as far as fitament of parts goes.

Good luck with whichever path you choose!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Well I live in Key West so there isn't alot of scrapyards around, Do you know where I can find one in FL. Does anyone out there know?

If I can find a YJ I would buy it in a heartbeat!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 12:11 PM
Can't Get Enough

Try <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jeepsunlimited.com>www.jeepsunlimited.com</a> . I saw one a while back on ebay in the Tampa area.... You might have to drive a little but they can be had. Up here you can get a whole early wrangler with a bad engine or other mechanical problem anywhere from $1000 -$2000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode