Do I NEED a tailpipe after the muffler? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Do I NEED a tailpipe after the muffler?

I'm thinking I'll just take it off completely. I'm on the third pipe already, and it now is rubbing on the rear shock and trackbar, the rubber hanger has broken, and the muffler clamp is loosened up so it flops around. There is really no room to run the exhaust out the back without something hitting it. The muffler ends about where the rear seat starts on the passenger side, from there getting over the axle and through the suspension is practically impossible without something hitting it when it flexes. So is there really a reason I need a pipe running to the back? Is it going to be extrememly loud or will the exhaust choke me out? Good or Bad idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 11:07 AM
ArkyCrawler

Re: Do I NEED a tailpipe after the muffler?

I didn't run a pipe for a couple of months, the sound was a little loud but it didn't bother me. I put the top on for winter and it almost killed us. The fumes came up through the drain holes and it made us sick.

IMHO ya need to pipe it out.

Good luck

Steve
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 11:22 AM
Way Outta Control

ArkyCrawler is correct... get that pipe back on and help the fumes exit from under and behind the vehicle. This is a safety issue. No one likes hearing about people who are overcome by CO in the winter and die at the wheel when a simple $12 section of pipe would have save there life and the life of their passengers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 08:17 PM

There is flexable sections of pipe available at many parts stores, perhaps this would solve the problem of the pipe rubbing on stuff, and I don't think that it's very expensive. I agree though, get that pipe on there or you'll be sorry, I had a pickup with an exhaust leak that came right in the cab, had to drive with the window down or I'd feel sick
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 09:50 PM

If you have inspections in your state, chance are you can't use flexpipe. It's meant for temporary repairs AFAIK. Same thing goes for no tailpipe - every law I've read says that the exhaust must exit behind the passenger compartment at a minimum of x inches.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 09:56 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I'm glad this thread was started. My CJ's exaust ends just behind the doors and it does make its way into the cab while driving. I forgot to think about winter when I'll have the top on. I may take her into an exaust shop and have them bend some pipes to go to the back.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 10:00 PM
BMF

Alllockedup,
Do you know why the flex pipe will not pass inspection? When I redo my exhaust I was thinking of using some for at least a couple of months. I guess I'll have to wait till I can afford the whole exhaust.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 10:20 PM

If there is a problem with running the exhaust out the back then couldn't you just move the mufflers forwards a bit, and exit just in front of the rear wheels?? This may not be the best fix, but it is a fix...

Just a question though, with a 2" body lift, you should be able to find *some* room to run to exhaust to the rear...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 05:51 AM

When I worked at an inspection shop here in NH, the rule book said that only solid pipe was to be used. I don't remember if it gave a reason or not. Myguess would be that it's pretty flimsy and therefore prone to leaks/breakage. Some OEMs use a form of flex pipe, usually to connect the down pipe to the cat or intermediate pipe, but if you've ever seen it it's pretty strong. I've also heard from people in other places that it didn't pass. The best way to find out is to call a few inspection shops and ask an inspector. I suggest calling a few shops because at least around here, the inpectors seem to let things slide depending on if they really care or not.

On this topic, I saw a rig at a club show a few weeks ago that had a pretty trick setup. I believe it was a CJ-7 with a 350. The guy patched and welded shut all the holes in the frame (or he had built his own), and taken a piece of OEM flex pipe on each side run from the headers directly into the framerails. At the end of the frame, he cut holes on each side again and welded in some short, curved exhaust tips. Cool setup, but I would think even with heavy gauge box tubing that it would begin to corrode the frame, or that in the front near where the pipes entered the framerails would get super hot and lose strength over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode