Adding filter to power steering return line - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Adding filter to power steering return line

It might be overkill and may not even be needed, but can you add a filter to the power steeering return line? The fluid is not under that high a pressure is it? I just swapped in a junyard power steering box and cleeaned it up as good as I could, but I would still like to filter the fluid to remove anything I might have missed. What type of filter would be best to run, fuel filter etc? What kind of pressures do the return lines carry? I'm guessing not much since the fittings are just connected using hose clamps and not the fitting the pressure lines use. Thanks for any help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 11:08 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Adding filter to power steering return line

You're correct that the return line does not have much pressure, it's all in the input line to the steering gear assembly.

Filter? Nope, I'd not recommend that for the power steering line. IMHO you're better off changing the fluid once a year and puting the power steering assembly on a good flush/fill/bleed maintance schedule. You'll be getting most of the gunk out anyway if you flush and re-fill when you re-assemble the power steering. This decision would, of course, be affected by where and how you're driving your rig.

If you are intent on making the Power Steering System better, and helping it to last longer I'd recommend three low-buck items:

1. Don't just clean up that steering box, actually rebuild it (or the old one and put on the shefl for a spare [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]) with a seal and gasket kit from NAPA.
2. Rebuild the power steering pump. These kits are also avaliable at NAPA.
3. Install a power steering fluid cooler in the input line. Some people think this is overkill. But if you're in a hot area then it will help save seals in the gear box and in the pump assembly. The cost is low, and the payback is high.

You may be interested in viewing a Cooler/Filter install on a Bronco... a Jeep install wouldn't be much different, click on the picture. Heck, I think you'd even make it look prettier!

Just be aware that filters and coolers will add another point of faiure to the system as longer hoses can flex, split, burst, degrage as well as the hose clamps can fail.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/lars915/miscellaneous_parts.htm></a>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 11:31 AM

Good advice Leve,
Although running a filter in the low pressure line, is a pretty common mod on many comp vehicles.
I use a 15" x 24" tranny cooler as my PS cooler. It is mounted in front of my main radiator. I have no problems with the 2 coolers interfeering with each other. When the engine is being pushed hard, it is usually at times when the ps is not so the system works very well.
I also run a 20 oz remote aluminum reservoir on the low pressure side, just before the cooler. Keep all of your hoses, reservoirs, filters, and cooler, at a level below the top of the filler on the pump reservoir. This will allow the system to self bleed.
The filters that are being used for PS are typicaly the remote set ups used for tranny's or remote oil filters. Do not use a gas filter as it will not allow enough unrestricted flow.
You can also modify the stock pump using many bench modifications.
www.texasoffraod.com
has many modifications and suggestions on his site, and sells some very good(and affordable) modification and hydro assist set ups if/when you want to go in that direction.
I run nearly a gallon of fluid in my set up, and it stays relatively cool under even the most extreme conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 11:37 AM

Ooooops, Matt's site is,
www.westtexasoffroad.com
His name is Matt Hodges, and he knows a thing or two about steering systems.
Good luck
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 03:48 PM

I disagree LEVE with you on the filter subject. I can see no way to get all the particles out without removal and dissassembly of each part and flushing parts too. While the system is running it is "flushing" itself. I don't have any hard paper facts but I can say that my buddy was losing P/S pumps about every third run. (and he was flushing/cleaning/replacing components too) A cooler helped but it just prolonged the problem. After a screw on hydrolic filter was installed.............so far so good. It's been 1 1/2 years and all is well for him.
So I can't give facts........just the fact.
It worked for him.
And we use them at work for all kinds of non traditional like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode