Fried Optima - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Fried Optima

I am really finding this hard to believe. Here is the situation:

I purchased two yellow top Optimas about 8 months ago to eventually be used for my dual battery set up. I have only used one of them until today. The one I did use has seem almost no use as the jeep has been pretty much been under the knife for the last 7 1/2 months. I decided to through the charger on them a few days ago just to bring them up. Neither had discharged much according to the charger's meter. Each was charged for about 36 or so hours with the charger set to its lowest setting (2 amp automatic).

Today I pretty much finished the final wiring for my FI and some other stuff. I wanted to check it out so I threw the used battery in place and turned the key to on. I started checking voltages with my meter. ( I am not ready to start this thing yet) The first place I check is at the starter solenoid. It read .14V, what the heck. I checked at battery terminals, both top post and side mounts, same thing.

I don't believe I have ever seen a battery fail to where it only reads .14V. When the cells short they usually have some residual voltage. It is almost like it is fused internally. I have never placed a high amp load on this battery. My meter is fine, it reads 13.4v on the unused battery.

What do you think? Is this a common failure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode