Join Date: Dec 2000
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am really finding this hard to believe. Here is the situation:
I purchased two yellow top Optimas about 8 months ago to eventually be used for my dual battery set up. I have only used one of them until today. The one I did use has seem almost no use as the jeep has been pretty much been under the knife for the last 7 1/2 months. I decided to through the charger on them a few days ago just to bring them up. Neither had discharged much according to the charger's meter. Each was charged for about 36 or so hours with the charger set to its lowest setting (2 amp automatic).
Today I pretty much finished the final wiring for my FI and some other stuff. I wanted to check it out so I threw the used battery in place and turned the key to on. I started checking voltages with my meter. ( I am not ready to start this thing yet) The first place I check is at the starter solenoid. It read .14V, what the heck. I checked at battery terminals, both top post and side mounts, same thing.
I don't believe I have ever seen a battery fail to where it only reads .14V. When the cells short they usually have some residual voltage. It is almost like it is fused internally. I have never placed a high amp load on this battery. My meter is fine, it reads 13.4v on the unused battery.
What do you think? Is this a common failure?