Maximum tire size on a 35 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 11:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Maximum tire size on a 35

i was just wondering what is the biggest size of tire i should go on my dana 35, i have 33 at the moment and a locker in the 35 also. i have 3.07 gearing. i heard that the 33 are as far as i should go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 12:32 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: Maximum tire size on a 35

This has been gone over so many times it's not even funny......I think the general consensus is, and I know I feel this way, aslong as you're easy on it, you'll do alright. I feel anything more than 31's is pushing a D35, but it's all about your driving style. If you're light on the skinny pedal, and you don't land on top of you tubes time and time again, it should hold ok. But just "ok". I know 33's and definetly 35's is pushing that axle WAY BEYOND it's intended purpose....and I'm not quite sure what it's intended purpose is since it should of never made it under a Jeep. But hey, they also took a step backward when they went back to round headlights. That could just be me though!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 08:37 AM
BMF

It depends on how much money your willing to throw into the axle. I've seen some guys wheel there 35's pretty hard with 35 inch tires on them THey also had way too much money into the axles. The super 35 kit make the 35 a decent axle but by the time you're done modifying your 35 to "live" with bigger tires you could have installed a stronger axle for probably less money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 08:58 AM

BMF is correct. It depends on your driving. By the time you spend the money on stronger shafts, a locker, and gears, you can swap a Ford 8.8 into it and have strength comparable to a Dana 44.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 07:20 PM
I Do This For The Glory

True, we've already wrecked one D35 with just the 31's on it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 08:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

With 3.07s and 35s it won't be able to get out of the driveway to break anything! [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 02:25 PM

How much wheeling do you do and how hard do you push your jeep? If it's a street jeep chances are you won't brake a shaft but it's happened before on the street. I'd upgrade to an 8.8 or d44 if you don't plan on tires bigger than 36's or if you plan on tires bigger than that just go with 1 tons from the start.

BarrelRoll
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 02:43 PM

From my experience.
I ran a D35(4.56 gears and a ARB/Detroit) with 33x10.50 SX tires and it was reliable for 3 years.
When I went to 35" tires, the D35 broke all the time,(3 axle shafts within a few trips).

When I ran the 8.8(4.56 gears and a Detroit), it was extremely reliable with 35"(SSR's) and 36"(SX's) tires.
Even under the power of the V8 and extremely aggressive driving, I had absolutely no problems.
When I went to 38.50 SX's I snapped both axle shafts, durring a breif session of Horsepower related stupidity.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 02:50 PM

With 3.07 gears, 35" tires and a 4.0 HO it will be able to be wheeled with quite a bit of clutching.
The thing to look out for is the stock rear yoke. The strap and bolt style yoke, and the heavy load at the U joints(due to the high gearing) will cause many broken yokes(the small retainer flange at the outside of the joint saddle). You will need to go to a Pinion Yoke with U bolt style retainers, if you wish to avoid replacing yokes on a regular basis.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 09:02 PM

I ran 3.07s and 33s on my D35 for a while. With that combo I never really wheeled it to strenuous. Just mud and a few hills. I got a good deal on a complete D35 with 4.10s(really needed with the 33s) and a lockright. Remember i got a killer deal that is the only reason i bought another D35. Well just this weekend I managed to snap my passenger side shaft in 2. I wasn't ever gettin on it hard, i don't think the RPMs went above 1500, but 2000 max. Luckily i had spares.
with 3.07s you should be fine but, 3.07s and 33s really do suck. I'm gonna start lookin for an 8.8 to swap in soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode