CJ-8, I need to know what engine is in it.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 10:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ-8, I need to know what engine is in it..

I have lurked on these pages, gone thru Chiltons and Haynes.
Chilton says the engine should be an AMC 8-304 V-8 which comes with from 1976-81 CJ-5, CJ-6's. Chilton also says the engine number is on the right valve cover. There is no number on the valve cover. My husband died in Jan. and I am trying gather all info on the 3 Jeeps I have. The other two are pretty much stock, but this was his baby, and I have no idea what extras he has added or what he has taken off. My basic question is how to I find out what kind of CJ it came from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 875942-Aug_27_024.jpg (52.0 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 10:58 PM
Official Historian

Re: CJ-8, I need to know what engine is in it..

Can you post any pictures?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 11:49 PM
Enthusiast

I could be wrong, but I don't think the CJ-8 ever had a V8 option. If it has a V8 in it its a swap out and is most likely an AMC 304-360-401 or a Chevy 350, but with a little time, money and ingenuity, most any v8 could go in there.

A good mechanic could probably take a look and help you out at no cost, if you just want to know what engine is in there, or post a pic of the engine and someone here could probably I.D. it for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 01:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes I do have pictures, but I don't have my own website to send them from. I do know the engine is a 304. My late husband bought it with all stock parts and swapped the 304 into it. I know it is an AMC 304; Chiltons say these engines came from either CJ-5's or CJ-6's between 1976 and 1981. I would just like to narrow it down a year and which CJ it came from. Do either of you know where I can locate an engine number on it? Sorry, I probly worded the question wrong

Thanx 3tulsa
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 01:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks all, I do know good mechanics that could probly help me out, but I have 3 Jeeps, the 82 CJ-8, an 81 XJ 258 Inline 6, and 1984 J-10 258 inline 6 4 speed. My husband recently died and left no info about any of them. The friend I bought the XJ from has helped me get the info on it and the J-10. But the CJ-8 was my husband's baby.

What I know so far is: 1982, 304 V8, Front Axle Dana 30, rear axle AMC-20, Dana 300 Trans case, P-78 Buckshot Radials 33".

I soon as I can get pictures posted, I need loving homes for the J-10 and Xj. I was hoping to keep the XJ, but I think the only one I can keep is the CJ.

Thanx, 3tulsa
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 02:16 AM

sorry to hear about that
i don't know, just wanted to say i'm also from tulsa [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 02:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks JoeyCJ55, But working on the Jeeps and trying to learn moreabout them helps me thru the hard times. I used to know some things about them, but used to just say hey papa bear I broke this jeep, and he'd fix it. Just gotta learn to fix it myself now.

Between crawlin all over the Jeeps and studying the Heynes and Chiltons and lurkin on this board I'm learnin.

Thanx, 3t

oh yeah, hey fella t-towner
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 07:27 AM
Official Historian

Just to clarify, the XJ is the little cherokee that went into production in 1984. If it is an 81, it's not an XJ. If it's an XJ, it's not an 81. Is it a full-size wagoneer?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 07:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, Will, from the VIN # and the engine, etc..it's an 81 Cherokee, you can still read Laredo on one side. It's a 2 dr, 258 IL6 w/999 Torqflite auto trans, 208 transfer case, Dana 44 front axle, AMC 20 rear, pretty much stock as far as I know, If it's not an XJ do you know what it is?

Thanx for any help,

3tulsa
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 08:37 AM
Official Historian

Sounds like an SJ. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to help you figure out what you have since your asking.

This is a good source of info for the full-size jeeps.

Here's a couple pictures of 1981 SJ's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode