Off Roading Forums banner

CJ-8, I need to know what engine is in it..

1K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I have lurked on these pages, gone thru Chiltons and Haynes.
Chilton says the engine should be an AMC 8-304 V-8 which comes with from 1976-81 CJ-5, CJ-6's. Chilton also says the engine number is on the right valve cover. There is no number on the valve cover. My husband died in Jan. and I am trying gather all info on the 3 Jeeps I have. The other two are pretty much stock, but this was his baby, and I have no idea what extras he has added or what he has taken off. My basic question is how to I find out what kind of CJ it came from.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I could be wrong, but I don't think the CJ-8 ever had a V8 option. If it has a V8 in it its a swap out and is most likely an AMC 304-360-401 or a Chevy 350, but with a little time, money and ingenuity, most any v8 could go in there.

A good mechanic could probably take a look and help you out at no cost, if you just want to know what engine is in there, or post a pic of the engine and someone here could probably I.D. it for you.

G
#4 ·
Yes I do have pictures, but I don't have my own website to send them from. I do know the engine is a 304. My late husband bought it with all stock parts and swapped the 304 into it. I know it is an AMC 304; Chiltons say these engines came from either CJ-5's or CJ-6's between 1976 and 1981. I would just like to narrow it down a year and which CJ it came from. Do either of you know where I can locate an engine number on it? Sorry, I probly worded the question wrong

Thanx 3tulsa

G
#5 ·
Thanks all, I do know good mechanics that could probly help me out, but I have 3 Jeeps, the 82 CJ-8, an 81 XJ 258 Inline 6, and 1984 J-10 258 inline 6 4 speed. My husband recently died and left no info about any of them. The friend I bought the XJ from has helped me get the info on it and the J-10. But the CJ-8 was my husband's baby.

What I know so far is: 1982, 304 V8, Front Axle Dana 30, rear axle AMC-20, Dana 300 Trans case, P-78 Buckshot Radials 33".

I soon as I can get pictures posted, I need loving homes for the J-10 and Xj. I was hoping to keep the XJ, but I think the only one I can keep is the CJ.

Thanx, 3tulsa

G
#7 ·
Thanks JoeyCJ55, But working on the Jeeps and trying to learn moreabout them helps me thru the hard times. I used to know some things about them, but used to just say hey papa bear I broke this jeep, and he'd fix it. Just gotta learn to fix it myself now.

Between crawlin all over the Jeeps and studying the Heynes and Chiltons and lurkin on this board I'm learnin.

Thanx, 3t

oh yeah, hey fella t-towner

#8 ·
Just to clarify, the XJ is the little cherokee that went into production in 1984. If it is an 81, it's not an XJ. If it's an XJ, it's not an 81. Is it a full-size wagoneer?

G
#9 ·
Well, Will, from the VIN # and the engine, etc..it's an 81 Cherokee, you can still read Laredo on one side. It's a 2 dr, 258 IL6 w/999 Torqflite auto trans, 208 transfer case, Dana 44 front axle, AMC 20 rear, pretty much stock as far as I know, If it's not an XJ do you know what it is?

Thanx for any help,

3tulsa

#10 ·
Sounds like an SJ. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to help you figure out what you have since your asking.

This is a good source of info for the full-size jeeps.

Here's a couple pictures of 1981 SJ's.

#11 ·
If you reduce your picture's size to under 100k, you can post them here. Just click the box below where you type your reply that says "I want to preview my post and/or attach a file." and then browse to it on the next screen.

#12 ·
Is the shifter straight or curved? If you can post the VIN number we can look up what it had originally. If you can also post the numbers you can find off the 304 we can tell you what it came from originally.

I'm guessing here, but I'd say that the Scrambler originally had a 258 in it, as the 304 will bolt to the bellhousing. In '82 the other engine available was the GM151, which shares a Chevy bolt pattern, different from the 304. Unfortunately they came with either tranny, so it's impossible to tell. You should have 3.07 or 3.54 gears in the axles, as they were the only ones available in '82. It will also be a wide track, as the narrow track's ended in '81 for the Scrambler.

G
#13 ·
Thanx, Will,

It probly is an SJ, just looking thru my Heynes all they said for the for 77 thru 91 (at least as far as I could tell) were XJ, I thought SJ was for Waggoneers. Anyway, the pictures you showed look like mine except the grill looks different and a few other minor differences, so I guess it is an SJ. Although my question was about the CJ-8 I appreciate your help on the SJ. I do not have photos of it yet, as I just got my camera fixed today, as soon as I can I will post pictures of all 3 Jeeps. Also, haven't had the computer very long, just learning how to use it.

I worked for TPD (Tulsa Police Dept.) and worked on mainframes, don't have the hang of these PCs yet. Here is the VIN on SJ, maybe you can give me more info from it: 1JCCE17DXBT045198. I have found out the engine in the CJ-8 is from a CJ-5 but still don't know what year. The vin on the CJ-8 is 1JCCN88E9CT016678.

To: JEEPN The shifter is curved, trans case shifter is straight. I can't find any numbers on the engine, although I must not have made it clear in my original post, my question was where to find the numbers on the engine so I could figure out what it was. (not trying to be a jerk) but somehow the subject went off on SJ's & XJ's. But, if ya'll want me to start on the problems on the SJ & the J-10 I'll throw those out tomorrow. I believe the original engine in the CJ-8 was the GM151, and it is a widetrack.

Also, Will, thanx for the help on posting photos, I have tons of pictures of the CJ on and off-road, none of the other 2. Now that my camera is working as soon as take some pictures, I will post some.

Thank you everybody, ya'll have been a big help. My B-day was the 31st and I have been hiding at the lake.

I'm off to find about someone getting killed at Clayton, as that is where my husband and I went whenever we could get away from the garage.

Thanx

#14 ·
If the engine is an AMC (in the CJ8), look on the front of the passenger side valve cover for a metal tag with numbers and letters. Also, shine a flashlight behind the brackets that connect the engine to the frame and look at the engine block. The AMC engines have the size cast in them in 2-3" tall numbers. If from a CJ5, you should see "304".

G
#15 ·
Thanx, Will

First thing this morning I checked my manuels and Jeep Bible again, (also after seeing your photos) It is an SJ, thank you very much for correcting this for me.

I have 10 vehicles here I'm trying to get all the info (correct) that I can get on them. I have a notebook with a page for each one, also in my computer. I've been changing XJ to SJ this morning. As soon as I get photos taken and scanned in, there will probley be more questions from me.

On the CJ-8, I have already checked the valve covers, no numbers. I just read your last post, so I'm getting ready to check the engine block like you recommended.

Once again, Thanx, You've been a big help

#16 ·
1JCCE17DXBT045198

1 United States
J Jeep Corporation
C Multi-Purpose Vehicle
C 6 Cyl, 258 CID
E Automatic Transmission, Column Shift, Part Time Transfer Case
17 Cherokee, 2 Door Station Wagon, 109" Wheelbase
D Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) Rating: 5975#, 6200#
X A single number, or the letter X, or a check mark, is used to verify the transcription of the vehicle identification number
B 1981
T Plant Code: Toledo, Ohio, USA
O45198 Sequential Serial Number

1JCCN88E9CT016678

1 United States
J Jeep Corporation
C Multi-Purpose Vehicle
C 6 Cyl, 258 CID
N 5 Speed, Manual Transmission, Floor Shift, Part Time Transfer Case
88 CJ-8, 2 Door, Open Body
E Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) Rating: 4150#
9 A single number, or the letter X, or a check mark, is used to verify the transcription of the vehicle identification number.
C 1982
T Toledo, Ohio, USA
016678 Sequential Serial Number

Here's my source: http://www.specialtyparts.com/vins/vehilceid.htm

G
#18 ·
Sorry to here of your loss. I also have an 82 Scrambler and to many others to name. Look for the numbers on the motor right behind the motor mounts. From your profile and logon name Im taking it your from Tulsa OK. Im just about an hour away from you to the east here in Noel MO. If you need any help on figuring out what you have just give me a yell. You sound alot like my wife when it comes to the Scrambler, she always knows when something is wrong with it. If you have alot of stuff your planning on saling or getting rid of, just let me know. What ever you do don't sale the Scrambler because they are hard to come by these days and they don't sale cheap either. I got lucky on mine. If you need anything send me an e-mail here or just click on my post name to get my home e-mail or send it to (my69jpstr@hotmail.com)

G
#19 ·
Muchos Nachos Will,

The info from the vins help a lot. The info the SJ (see? ya convinced me) matches perfect. I printed your post to add to my files.

As far as the CJ-8 goes, he owned it from the early 90's to present;there were a lot of changes he has made that I'm trying to track down. About the only things that match are the 5 Speed Manual, floor shift, 2 door open body.

I haven't had a chance to check the numbers on engine, hopefully in the morning.

I also bookmarked your source : specialtyparts.com.

You have helped so much, all I can say is Thanks again.

For the first 3 months after he died I couldn't even go in his garage. Now I'm in there everyday at least once, usually all day, LOL.

Next one I'll throw your way is the J-10 (if I have that one right). It's 84 pick-up vin:1JTCM25N8ET030384, it has almost the same engine as the SJ except manual trans.

I know I can look it up myself, already have.

It helps a whole lot getting input from someone that can let me know if I'm right or wrong or even close.

Thanx Again

T
Oh yeah, thanx for the Happy B-Day, try to ignore them anymore.

G
#20 ·
No Bob, I will not part with the Scrambler!!!

I was going to try and keep the CJ-8 and the SJ, also Ford F-150 (oops, Fords another story). But I have decided to sell all the vehicles except the Scrambler and use the money from the rest to get a regular street beater.

I have sold a few of his tools, but I'm determined work harder learning more about the ones I already know how to use and to learn how to use the ones I don't know how to use.

He left me with a complete fab shop. I'm working on inventory right now, but I pretty much have 2 of everything and more on some.

When I figure out how to post photos, then maybe everybody can get a better idea of equipment and vehicles I have to sell.

I know this is the wrong board for this but I also have VW Baja, International Bus converted to RV, homebuilt rockcrawler (had to beat off buyers for that one) and the F-150. The F-150 lacks transfer case shifter and front drive shaft to finish off 4X4 under it.

Made of note of your e-mail.

I have met some good people on these boards. Once I get the CJ-8 back in shape, I wanna go off-roading again. It's nice knowing theres people out there I can go with.

Thanx, 3tulsa

#21 ·
1JTCM25N8ET030384

1 United States
J Jeep Corporation
T Truck
C 6 Cyl, 258 CID
M 4 Speed, Manual Transmission, Floor Shift, Part Time Transfer Case
25 J-10, Pick-up Truck, 119" Wheelbase
N Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) Rating: 5975#, 6200#
8 A single number, or the letter X, or a check mark, is used to verify the transcription of the vehicle identification number.
E 1984
T Toledo, Ohio, USA
030384 Sequential Serial Number

G
#22 ·
Once again, Thanx Will, for the post on the J-10. I'm printing all this info and adding it to my files. From the info you gave me on the J-10, it's bone stock, except someone got into it and made a total rat's nest of the wiring system. I don't know a whole bunch about it. He was always buying jeeps and I didn't locate the J-10 till 3 months after he died.

Anyway, my Nascar is on right now so I'm headin for the Nascar board.

Thanx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.