Plowin Snow with SWB Jeeps - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 09:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Plowin Snow with SWB Jeeps

How many people plow snow with your Jeeps and what type of setups do you have? What type and size of tires do you use?

I'm running a 7' Meyers plow that attaches directly to my front axle because the lift I have won't allow me to run the "normal" frame mounts.

I'm running 235r70 15 Contental M&S wich gives me good traction on wet, frozen ashalt but they are wearing out and need some choices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 09:39 AM

Re: Plowin Snow with SWB Jeeps

I've run some off-brand directional (tractor tread) bias-ply tires, and now have BFG Mud-Terrain T/A 31-10.50s. I think that the BFGs are a little better in snow, even though the directionals had more agressive tread.

I also have a Meyers 7', but the plow mount is conventional, with angles running under the axel. The lift mechanism sits above the winch in a custom frame, but the motor assembly is stock.

One thing I did was mount a shock absorber from a F250 rear between the plow and the lift frame. That takes the slam out of it when the front end goes over a bump that bounces the plow up and puts slack in the chain. I can pretty much do what I want over railroad crossings now. I would think that a really good modification for a plow on a '5.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 09:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shock to the plow frame! Hmmm... Great idea. The back axle of my CJ5 practicaly lift's off the ground when my plow slams downd going over bumps. Do you have a picture of the setup.?

I was also thinking of adding a shock on the blade like Western Pro plows have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 05:34 PM

Sorry, I don't have a picture, and the Jeep's in pieces right now. I'll see if I can get a picture from the parts pile in the next few days, but there's really nothing special. It's just a big, long shock between the plow and the lift frame.

I have considered adding a shock to the blade tilt, but there is a little problem: standard shocks have most of their resistance in extension, and very little in compression, which is the opposite of what's needed to damp the blade's return after tilting. You will have to use something else, either a drag-racing up-lift shock, if they still make them, or a damper from a Western plow, or a hydraulic cylinder with a small reservoir and a flow control valve.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 10:08 PM
Official Historian

I don't know how much room you have to work with but you could have a rod coming from the blade to the end of a bar. Mount the bar in the middle so it can rotate and then connect the shock to the other end of the bar. Then you'd be reversing the shocks damping than if it was hooked up directly to the blade.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 01:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Kiss your springs goodbye! Even with the 6 packs they will sag, not from the snow pushing, but from the bouncing when driving betwixt lots. I had to replace all 4 springs, all the shocks, and 4 clutches in 10,000 mi! By the way, anyone wanna buy a meyers plow rig (Omaha, NE) for a cj?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 01:31 PM

When I ordered my '78 I chose the HD suspension option, and HD everything else they had. The shocks only lasted about 10K and I replaced them with Monroe Magnums. They lasted about 50K. Springs are still good, which I think is at least partially due to keeping good shocks on them. Clutch still had over 90% of the friction material at 60K, but succumbed to an oil leak. When plowing I use high range, but usually start out in the 6.32 1st gear. Lately we haven't had much snow in the St. Louis area - I haven't bothered to put the plow on for the last two winters, but I did plow smallish parking lots commercially, including in a two-foot snow in the early 80s. Contrary to popular opinion, a SWB Jeep can plow snow, but it must be done with restraint. Brute force will quickly take a toll.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 01:34 PM

So how much do you want for your plow, and what shape is it in? Mine was well used when I got it, and is pretty shabby now.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 01:42 PM
JohnN

If you want a dampening shock that will work with side loading, consider using a steering stabilizer.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 01:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I will probably start it on ebay at $250 (it has the lights, left right up down all work) Its rusty but it works good. I would probably consider trades too, as my wife has limited my jeep budget (she just don't get it... its a jeep thing!!!!) I should be saving up for a soft top, as that is my next big item, but there are just too many necessities... off road lights and such. I am putting on the new springs tomorrow and should get a 2" lift with factory springs if that tells you how much they sagged!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode