89 Wrangler for sale, I might buy, a few questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

89 Wrangler for sale, I might buy, a few questions

Its an 89, with the dreaded 2.5, only 68,000 miles though with a valve cover leak. Nice body, no rust (only rust I found was the rear left where there is a seam in the tub, just surface rust. OK stock tires, maybe 235s. 4x4, manual. My questions:

Should it have 4.1s?

How hard would a 4.2L swap be if the power wasn't enough?

What should I offer?

*Edit* it also has hard doors and a good condition hard top. It doesn't look like any offroading has been done, only snow and dirt roads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 10:05 AM

Re: 89 Wrangler for sale, I might buy, a few questions

The 2.5 is a very decent motor depending on your needs. I'm pretty sure all 2.5s came with 4.11 gears if that was what you were asking. The 2.5 will do everything you want off road except spin big tires really fast, and if you are wanting a mud bogger a six isn't going to get there either.

Power needs are much more easily addressed in terms of road issues. A four banger with 33s is going to struggle to keep up on the highway - especially hills. A six can do fine with most size tires, but my guess is that getting bigger than 35s would make a six struggle too. You might ask Elusive how his 4.6L stroker six does (I think he has 39s).

A 4.2 swap is not as easy as you might think. The 2.5 tranny will not hold up to it, so you have to swap trannies too. Then again, with pretty much any engine swap, you are going to swap trannies. The 4.2 swap would be a bit easier than say a 350, because at least you can get all stock parts and should have little to no custom fabrication.

What you offer depends entirely on what the market is like in your area. Too hard to guess.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 10:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Three and a half years ago I got my 91 2.5L for $4000 came with soft top and a hard top that had been broken in a roll. That same roll had done a lot of other damage and somehow the Jeep ended up salvage. (no clean title) someone said it was a total loss. It wasn't, I drove it home. I may have over payed (I didn't really know what I was doing I just knew I wanted a jeep I could build) A leaking valve cover should be easy to fix. And with the stock tires that 2.5 is a good motor. I have gone 30K miles with not so much as a peep. Just change the oil and the plugs and it hasn't complained a bit. People rag on the 2.5 because once you lift and add tall tires it is a dog, but in stock form with the 4.1 ratio (all 2.5L manual trans has the 4.1) that motor zips those stock tires around.

If you were to say what your plans for this jeep are we it would be easier to give advise. Are you going to build it up or is it going to get you to work every day? What are your plans?

What kind of top does it come with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the 2.5 info! It will probably only have 31s at the most, for a DD. Its got the hard top. The guy left a message on my cell phone while I was at work today and he's asking 5000! I am gonna check it out monday, talk with my brother and mom, then maybe offer 4000 or so. Its been sitting all summer...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 07:42 PM

I would not pay more than $3000 for an '89 4-cyl manual Jeep in pristine condition.

I could get a much better vehichle for just as much or less. Hell, I could have got a '91 G-Wagon that ran and drove great for $2500.

What I'm trying to say is... I think you should keep shopping
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode