fuel guage/sending unit - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 07:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

fuel guage/sending unit

I just replaced my speedo. cluster, complete with all new guages, the fuel guage is not marked for power, sending unit or ground.Looking at the back of the cluster,there are three terminals. the fuel guage and the temp guage have one terminal connected together by a metal jumper. is this ground or 12v? Then where does the sending unit connect.Is it the middle terminal or the one without the jumper. thnx. for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 10:45 AM

Re: fuel guage/sending unit

If you have a 12 volt test light, or go and get one. A voltmeter will work as well. With the test light, hook the clip to a good ground. Take the point and touch the strap. If the light comes on you have found your power supply. With a voltmeter, set it up on the 20 volt scale. Take the black lead and touch a good ground point. The red lead to the strap. Read the voltage. Once you have identified the power source, you can now find the sending unit terminal. Take a jumper wire. Attach one end to a good ground point, the other to the termanil which you suspect is for the sending unit. If the gauge moves all the way to the full mark and beyound, you have found the terminal for the sending unit. As for a ground for the gauge, they usually grounded when they are mounted in the gauge cluster.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 10:52 AM
Way Outta Control

1. Did you replace with:
a. OEM cluster, or
b. A NEW NON OEM cluster?
2. Have you read <a target="_blank" href=http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep/gauges.htm>John Faust's CJ Gauge Diagnostic Site?</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 04:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I purchased a complete cluster from 4wd hardware for my year jeep, it came with no wireing diagram or instructions and most of my old cluster wires were just hanging with no lables. I cant use a DMM to check for voltage because i dont know what terminal to put the three wires on or what configuration. maby i can get the diagram from the site you posted. thnx. for the reply.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 04:59 PM
Way Outta Control

Humm... you can do the following:

1. Identify the wirng. Which wire goes to the sender, the 12 volts, etc.
2. Follow up with 4WD Hardware about the lack of instructions. If this is a NON OEM cluster, and I suspect it is... then they can also get you in touch with the vendor. The vendor should also have a diagram of the system.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 05:43 PM

All the replacment gauges, even the ones in a new speedo cluster are 12v.
The jumper strap merely allows you to hook the 12v. power lead to one gauge and the strap takes it over to the other.
This is different than a set of OEM gauges where the power lead goes to the fuel gauge, is regulated to +-5v. and is fed to the meters of both the fuel gauge's and the temp gauge via the OEM jumper strap.
Now that you know which are the 12v. power leads it will be easy to determine the sender's pole.
As said, just momentarily touch the sender's lead to ground and watch for the needle to move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode