350 conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

350 conversion

I am doing a 383 conversion in my 83 cj5 jeep. i just finished building my motor yesterday. i was planning to convert to a sm465 transmission but costs are becoming to high, would the t176 tranny (in the jeep already) be able to have the power of the v8? also does anybody have a body for a cj5 in good condition they wanna sell? thanks a bunch
The newbie
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 06:10 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: 350 conversion

My T-176 has been handling the power of a 305 TPI with no complaints for more than 7 years. The AA bellhousing was about $400 though, I understand there is a cheaper adapter plate available.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 07:07 PM
BMF

Come on Taz my old SR4 could handle a 305, J/K. Though I've never done it, two of my buddies have had t176's behind V8's with no problem. I think Advance Adapters says that it is only marginal with a V8. From what I've seen it should be fine though. If cost is becoming an option, I'd say go with the sm465 though. If you have to buy an adapter anyways why not buy a tranny to transfer case? I put the sm465 in a CJ7 I had an loved that tranny offroad. On road though I preferred my friends t176 due to the closer gear ratios.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 07:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the t176 should be ok if your not running large tires, and dont do much thrashing off road. the sm465 is a much better choice. I would save my money and go with the sm465.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 07:40 PM
Official Curmudgeon

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Come on Taz my old SR4 could handle a 305

<hr></blockquote>Did you miss the TPI part? I didn't think he wanted to wait until I changed over to the 350 for an answer. If I'd have known this 305 that I bought for the injection, accessories and brackets was going to last this long, I'd have painted the Energizer Bunny on the hood instead of Taz.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 12:51 PM
BMF

Taz,
I've been in a 305 powered camaro that was pretty darn fast and not that far from stock. The reason I made that joke about a 305 is because a fried of mine with a four cylinder wrangler wants more power but doesn't want to upgrade the drivetrain, so his solution is to put in a 305. I tried telling him to sell his jeep and buy a six cylinder model since he only wants to spend $800 for the whole project. And some "expert" is telling him he can easily do the swap for that$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode