Dream TJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 02:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dream TJ

I'm thinking serious about ordering a Rubicon. One of the duties that I need this Jeep to do is to follow along behind a motorhome as a towed vehicle. Which front bumper/tow set-up is the most common, strongest, reliable, and cost effective? I will eventually put a winch up front, so a pin or bolt on tow bar would be best.

How about for the rear? I will be using this Jeep to pull a fishing/duck boat too.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 04:09 PM

Re: Dream TJ

Get a trailer...after all of the flat towing, you will spend as much on tires as you would have on a trailer. I bought my 6'x16' tandem axle w/brakes and controller for $1300 which is the same price as 4 of my tires plus or minus $100. Nothing special required for pulling your fishin boat but if you are going to spend the money on a hitch get a class 3!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 04:17 PM

Personally I like the MORE front (it has rings built in, along with an integral winchplate, and still shippable by UPS at 52 pounds).

http://www.garvin-industries.com/swing_away_tire.html

If you don't mind waiting 3 years for the piss-poor delivery time, Younger Brothers does a nice rear bumper too.
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.younger-bros.com/Jeep%20products.htm>http://www.younger-bros.com/Jeep%20products.htm</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 07:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

mobdawg,
There is a lot of wisdom is what you say but I'm just an occasional RVer now. Usually when my folks have left their's with me for the summer. Pulling the tow trailer behind would restrict the camper to a pull through slot at RV parks along the way which usually go pretty fast. Or I would have to unload the Jeep and hook it to the tow trailer to park it and then back the RV in. A second set of rims with AT tires might be worth considering. Good thinking though, I'll have do some more too.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 08:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i second the trailer... remember that the tj's have an unserviceable front wheel bearing. I doubt you'd even know it went bad until you stopped and saw the charred remains of your rubicon getting dragged behind you...some transfer cases dont get proper lube when flat towed either... not sure about the rubicons special np242
that said.. buy a rubicon... cool jeep... good warranty..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode