what year 4.0 for swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

what year 4.0 for swap

I'm seriously looking into swapping my 258 for a newer 4.0 liter. I've researched everything pretty well, but cann't seem to find out what years of 4.0 will work. I've found that 87 -95 will work with 92-95 being preferred, but will one out of a TJ work? I found a 99 4.0 with 35,000 miles, complete with computer and wiring and sensors at a very local junkyard (5 miles from my house). Does anyone know if the 99 will work?
Here's a good site for info:
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.jeepincj7.rockcrawler.com/photo3.html>http://www.jeepincj7.rockcrawler.com/photo3.html</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 10:53 AM

Re: what year 4.0 for swap

I hope it work because I am in the middle of swaping a 99 TJ 4.0 liter into my 83 cj7 !
From what I understand there is no reason why it wouldn't work as the blocks should be the same. People usually say 91/95 prefered because the wiring is said to be easier than on later engine and the FI system is much better on post 91 set up.
I'am no expert though, and from the engine standing in my backyard I think it should work (258 engine mount should bolt right up on the 4.0 L block) as for the wiring I hope it is just a question of time...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 12:21 PM

I am looking into doing the same swap. I have searched the net and has not seen anything on doing the swap with a post '95 4.0L. I have heard the same thing about 92-95 that they are better if you can get one. Let us know how your swap goes oldp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 12:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I dont know much about what your doing, but from reading a lot of articles on the 4.0 HEAD swap it sounds like you should get a 'HO' 4.0 engine. According to this link:
http://monsterslayer.com/jeep/40Head/40Head.htm
thats why the 91 or newer is prefered.
You might do a search on 4.0 HEAD swaps to get some more info on different engines.
Are you sure you don't want a V8?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 12:57 PM

I will sure let you know how my swap is going but I don't have much time to work on it so It will take some time...
However here the link to another post asking the same question :
http://tellico.off-road.com/ubbthrea...mp;o=&amp;vc=1
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

oldp - did you end up using the donor wiring harness or the Hesco?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 01:55 PM
85Jeepny

My 4.0L's in the shop because I have reached my limits of expertise and I still have no spark....Here's some info I can help with maybe...

Crankcase Position Sensor....bellhousing or Vibration Dampner???, the vibration damper is much easier to reach but.....another $300.00 for the kit...Novak machines your bellhousing pretty cheaply but you have to make sure you have a 4.0L flywheel, the right sensor, the right measurment on it and it's not easy to access at all.

99 would be OBDII so make sure all of the sensor and such are 97 and newer. I went to the stealership and photocopied the Factory service manual diagrams and troubleshooting and put them in a book, it has been very helpful. The wiring harness shouldn't be too hard, I think we had it wired right before I bought the Hesco harnes, but now it does the same thing so I think I pretty much wasted money on that....

Either my computer is bad or my sensor is just failing to read correctly? I don't know, we scanned it and didn't get any error codes....who knows....I can help you with as much as I know on this, just make sure whichever way you get EVERYTHING within the correct years ie...

OBD I 91 to 95
OBD II 97 up
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 02:50 PM

I haven't done the wiring yet but I plan on using the donor harness as it is clean an complete. Hope I'll be able to splice it in the CJ's.
Other than that I am planning to swap in the AX15 in place of my T4 because that would solve the CPS issue..and I'll have a stronger tranny and maybe even a clocked D300..
Boy I need to go work on that Jeep !
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I'm going to look at the motor tomorrow morning. They didn't know if they hacked the wiring harness when they pulled the motor or not. They still have the TJ it came out of, so they said I can have anything that I need off of it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 07:26 AM

I believe Dorfs said that when using a '1997+ engine it's best to pull and use the entire harness including the gauges.
He's in the process of moving right now but do a search with his user name and you'll learn more ... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ... cuz HE KNOWS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode