Off Roading Forums banner

Who can put into words...driveline vibe.

432 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  mbalbritton 
#1 ·
Hey people, can someone put into words the feeling of a driveline vibration. What I'm getting at here is, I swapped out my rear axle and Everything looked great with the new one (used, not brand new) the whole project went great, especially with a little helpfull suggestion and demonstration from CaverDave
. Anyway, on the way home after installing the axle I now have new vibration. I can only guess it's a Driveline vibe by what I think that would feel like.

A little history on the axle I put in, It's acutually the original M20 I had that I swapped out when I did a bench rebuild on another 20 that ended up having an axle flange leak. so I swapped everything back over to my old axle. don't ask, long story just understand that my original was in fine shape when pulled and now it's back in there. I just added one pieces and a locker.

So I'm wondering if what I'm feeling is driveshaft vibe or something else. when cruising along the sound is kind of a surging sound, waaaaaw....waaaaw....waaaaw.... when accelerating it's a little more harsh and constant. when coasting it seems to disappear. It's not that bad, but is noticable. I just don't want it developing into more. I put all of it back together except conecting the driveshaft to the pinion yoke. my buddy did that part, so that's the only thing I'm questionable on as far as assembly goes.

any ideas?

Thanks
brent

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you check to make sure the gear pattern was OK? Did your buddy drop a u-joint bearing cap and accidentally lose a needle bearing? Might want to drop the rear part of the shaft to inspect the caps.

#4 ·
I trust my buddy that put the driveshaft back on, but everyone makes mistakes now and then. If he'd dropped a cap he's the kind that would have let out a big @%$%!!!!! and let everyone know what happened. He told e to check that he tightened it all back down when I metioned the vibe to him this morning. So it may just be a little loose. I'm just wondering if it's not something else.

Gear pattern looked good. It ran good before too.

brent

#5 ·
Since your carrier wasn't pulled, and the driveshaft didn't seperate (did they?), I'd guess u-joints also. Did you or John check the pinion at all? Did the locker seem to be functioning still?

Sorry I couldn't help more. I got back from Will's with the "new" draglink about 9:30 and was out there dinking until 2am with the draglink, new sender, and chasing down a grounding issue (ended up being a bad ground between the light housing & the bulb socket
!!). Still have to get the tank slung under, remove the back seat (looks like mom & Josh will be staying home), and put the doors on. Give me a yell if you finish "baking" laugh]early!

#6 ·
No, I thought you checked the Pinion................

JK, Of course I checked the pinion, it was there!
It seemed good, wasn't too tight, wasn't too loose against ring gear, but JUUUUUUUST RIIIIIIIIGHT. Drive shaft never seperated. Locker still clicks and clacks, and locks. You should see the 4 marks John and I left up the little grassy hill next to the shop!
OH YA, Lockers is locking! I threw two lines of dirt out the back about 15 ft. long out into the street

When are you heading out for URE? Friday or Saturday? If saturday, I might could slip away to give you a hand, granted that's cutting hte time pretty close.

brent

#7 ·
Found the problem!

It did envolve my buddy installing hte Ujoint. But I'll give him a good excuse on this one. the problem was the ujoint wasn't centered on the Pinion Yoke, thus the driveshaft was not spinning on it's center axis. the reason: I didn't notice my other axle yoke having these, but this yoke has little tabs that stick out from the edge of the cup that holds the U-joint caps. does that make since? these tabs are there for centering the Ujoint, well, one of these was buggerd and the the joint wasn't seated properly. I need to get the dremel out and clean it up. Or swap yokes. but I centered it up as best possible and the vibe is basically gone. It was about 1/8" off center.

Oh, I can't wait to mess with John on htis one

later
brent

#8 ·
So what your really saying is I'M the man and John should stick to snaptite models and C-clip axles?
You know he'll come up with "TJs don't have that old school crap" excuses! Glad you found the problem. BTW, "Butt" Force U-joints are about $10 at Autozone w/ a lifetime warranty (installs by John void this though).

I got the "new" draglink in, tank slung underneath, and a few other things finished last. She's sitting in the parking deck loaded to the gills, ready to head out this afternoon. Come down Sat. if you get a chance. You can ride with me and keep yours clean

#9 ·
Actually my dad just called, he's not gonna make it up this weekend so my weekend plans just opened up! I might try and swing down there this weekend!!

brent

#10 ·
Just thinking here, I know that's dangerous and all, but....

Since my yoke is a littel buggered and I do have an extra, If I was to swap the two yokes, what are my chances of screwing up my backlash? I was thinking about doing this cause I noticed that I could probably use a new pinion seal too. got a leakage running down the housing from the pinion. I figured why not swap out both since I would probably be better off that way. But I don't want to pull out the pinion and replace the crush sleeve and have to set the gears again.

brent

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.