Making it legal? (trying) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Making it legal? (trying)

I have been trying to get a hold of the local DMV for two days, and can't. I needed to ask them what steps do I need to take to get a new (used) vehicle street legal and on the road.
Can anyone enlighten me on what I have to do once I hand over the cash to the past owner?
(I will be getting a clean title, I know that helps)
Thanks for any input. I hope to expand my jeep family this weekend, and I can't wait to get the new one on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 07:19 AM

Re: Making it legal? (trying)

In NH, titles are only required for newer vehicles (over x years old). Say the vehicle I just bought needs a title (which I already have). I take the title to the town clerk, who gives me the registration with most of the info filled out. I pay them some $$$, then take a trip to the DMV and show them the new reg and title. They assign me a plate, and fill that info out on the reg. They keep one copy and I get another copy. I give them some more $$$. I slap the new plates on the car, and within 10 days take it to an inspection shop where they do their business, I drop even more $$$ and then I'm on my merry way.

Of course, things could be different in your parts!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

That doesn't sound too bad, In fact easier than I though the procedure would be. Asside from the $$$ and that inspection thing. Man I hate getting inspections. It is always such a pain.
One other question I had (and because you are from NH you don't have to worry about it) was the sales Tax. I know that I have to pay it [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] But I don't know to who, and how much. Do I need to get a reseat from the guy. Anyone from a state with tax know how that works?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 09:43 AM

In Jersey they expect the sales tax $$$ when you transfer title/register at the DMV. Here we don't have to pay for inspection though, at least at the state run facilities anyway.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 10:45 AM

I know that the tax in MA is paid when registering. You shouldn't need a recepit as long as the title is properly signed over to you.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

How would the DMV know how much to charge me for Tax then. If they don't know how much I payed??? Or is there just a set amount. I am almost looking forward to going through all this junk... Just so that at the end I will know how it works.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 10:54 AM

Good point. Are you sure you have to pay sales tax when buying from a private party?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 10:54 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Registration and transfer vary widely from state to state and year to year. In Kansas, they want a bunch of money when you register. They get sales tax, personal property tax, registration fee and an outrageous transfer fee which was up to about $85 a few years back.

Kansas has no regular inspections but several years ago, they went trough a phase of inspecting only cars that came from out of state prior to title transfer. The inspection was to make sure the title matched the vehicle. Then they went through a phase of only inspecting new vehicles, I don't remember what that was all about.

The wide variances cause a lot of trouble some times. A friend of mine got involved back in the late '60s with a loophole. The car he bought had originally been purchased new in Texas for a minimal down payment and a loan for the rest. The purchaser took the car to Georgia, a non-title state and got it registered. He then took the car to Florida and had a title issued for it since it came from a non-title state. With the lien no longer shown on the title, he sold it to a reputable dealer who friend bought it from.

It was a nice little scam while it lasted. The bank holding the note and local law enforcement contacted my friend. There wasn't anything they could do to him, they couldn't take the car back without paying him for it since he broke no laws. They questioned him a lot to see if he got one of those too good to be true deals and should have been suspect. With computers all taking to each other, I don't think this will work anymore.

At any rate, make sure the title is notarized when the seller signs it. I think this is about the only constant in all title states. You may also need a bill of sale stating the sale price for sales tax purposes.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 11:03 AM

After a little research on the <a target="_blank" href=http://www.state.vt.us>www.state.vt.us</a> I found these tidbits:

1.)You must provide DMV with the following: a completed Registration Application (form #TA-VD-119), the title to the vehicle, a bill of sale or a properly assigned title, an updated (current) odometer statement and payment of the proper fees. If the vehicle is ten (10) years old or newer an Odometer Disclosure Statement is also required.

2.) The Vermont Statutes Online
Title 32: Taxation and Finance
Chapter 219: Motor Vehicle Purchase And Use Tax
32 V.S.A. 8903. Tax imposed

8903. Tax imposed

(a) There is hereby imposed upon the purchase in Vermont of a motor vehicle by a resident a tax at the time of such purchase, payable as hereinafter provided. The amount of the tax shall be six percent of the taxable cost of a:

pleasure car as defined in 23 V.S.A. 4;

motorcycle as defined in 23 V.S.A. 4;

motor home as defined in subdivision 8902(11) of this title; or

vehicle weighing up to 10,099 pounds, registered pursuant to 23 V.S.A. 367, other than a farm truck.

For any other motor vehicle it shall be six percent of the taxable cost of the motor vehicle or $1,100.00 for each motor vehicle, whichever is smaller, except that pleasure cars which are purchased, leased or otherwise acquired for use in short-term rentals shall be subject to taxation under subsection (d) of this section.

(b) There is hereby imposed upon the use within this state a tax of six percent of the taxable cost of a:

vehicle weighing up to 10,099 pounds, registered pursuant to 23 V.S.A. 367, other than a farm truck.

For any other motor vehicle it shall be six percent of the taxable cost of a motor vehicle, or $1,100.00 for each motor vehicle, whichever is smaller, by a person at the time of first registering or transferring a registration to such motor vehicle payable as hereinafter provided, except no use tax shall be payable hereunder if the tax imposed by subsection (a) of this section has been paid, or the vehicle is a pleasure car which was purchased, leased or otherwise acquired for use in short-term rentals, in which case the vehicle shall be subject to taxation under subsection (d) of this section.

(c) The Vermont registration, transfer of Vermont registration or the issuance of a Vermont certificate of title of a motor vehicle shall be conclusive evidence that the purchase and use tax applies except as provided in section 8911 of this title.

(d) There is hereby imposed a use tax on the rental charge of each transaction, in which the renter takes possession of the vehicle in this state, during the life of a pleasure car purchased for use in short-term rentals, which tax is to be collected by the rental company from the renter and remitted to the commissioner. The amount of the tax shall be five percent of the rental charge. Rental charge means the total rental charge for the use of the pleasure car, but does not include a separately stated charge for insurance, or recovery of refueling cost, or other separately stated charges which are not for the use of the pleasure car. In the event of resale of the vehicle in this state for use other than short-term rental, such transaction shall be subject to the tax imposed by subsection (a) of this section.

(e) Any person registering a pleasure car in this state subject to the tax imposed by subsection (d) must pay the tax imposed by subsection (a) or (b) upon demand of the commissioner if:

(1) the vehicle is not actually rented for at least 30 days in any single year; or

(2) the vehicle is no longer used in short-term rentals; and

(3) the vehicle has not been stolen, converted or abandoned.

For taxation purposes, the value of the vehicle shall be fixed in accordance with section 8907 of this title as of the time the event causing the imposition of the tax under subsection (a) or (b) occurs.

(f) There is hereby imposed a tax at the rate prescribed in subsection (a) of this section on any amount charged at the end of a motor vehicle lease contract resulting from excess wear and tear or excess mileage.

(g) There is hereby imposed upon the titling in this state a tax at the rate provided for in subsection (a) or (b) of this section of the taxable cost of a:

For any other motor vehicle, it shall be at the rate provided for in subsection (a) or (b) of this section and paid by a person at the time of obtaining a certificate of title to the vehicle, except no tax shall be payable hereunder if the tax imposed by subsection (a) or (b) of this section has been paid, or the vehicle is a pleasure car which was purchased, leased or otherwise acquired for use in short-term rentals, in which case the vehicle shall be subject to taxation under subsection (d) of this section. (1959, No. 327 (Adj. Sess.), 3, eff. March 1, 1960; amended 1961, No. 230 eff. Aug. 1, 1961; 1966, No. 66 (Sp. Sess.), 2; 1967, No. 116 2, eff. April 17, 1967; No 380 (Adj. Sess.), 2; 1979, No. 202 (Adj. Sess.), 3, Pt. V, eff. Sept. 1, 1980, 1981, No. 87, 23; 1981, No. 172 (Adj. Sess.), 11b; 1983, No. 251 (Adj. Sess.), 2, 3, 8, eff. Jan. 1, 1985; 1985, No. 187 (Adj. Sess.), 2; No. 218 (Adj. Sess.), 3, eff. June 2, 1986; 1987, No. 112, 2; 1989, No. 51, 50; 1991, No. 73, 1; 1993, No. 1 (Sp. Sess.), 7, eff. Sept. 1, 1993; 1995, No. 19, 2, 3, eff. April 17, 1995; 1999, No. 159 (Adj. Sess.), 28.)

3.) The Vermont Statutes Online
32 V.S.A. 8905. Collection of tax

8905. Collection of tax

(a) Every purchaser of a motor vehicle subject to a tax under subsection (a) of section 8903 of this title shall forward such tax form to the commissioner, together with the amount of tax due at the time of first registering or transferring a registration to such motor vehicle as a condition precedent to registration thereof.

(b) Every person subject to a use tax under subsection (b) of section 8903 of this title shall forward such tax form and the tax due to the commissioner with the registration application or transfer, as the case may be, and fee at the time of first registering or transferring a registration to such motor vehicle as a condition precedent to registration thereof.

(c) If the tax due under subsections (a), (b), (e) or (f) of this section is not paid as provided, a penalty of an additional one percent of taxable cost or $150.00, whichever is smaller, shall be added to the tax due.

(d) Every person required to collect the use tax under section 8903(d) shall forward such tax and a report of same on forms prescribed and furnished by the commissioner at the frequency determined by the commissioner.

(e) Every lessor of a motor vehicle shall collect the tax imposed by subsection (a) or (b) of section 8903 of this title from the lessee and remit it to the commissioner at the time of registration of the motor vehicle, in the case of the first lease of a motor vehicle, and within 30 days after any extension of the lease or any subsequent lease of the motor vehicle. Every lessor of a motor vehicle shall collect the tax imposed by subsection (f) of section 8903 of this title from the lessee and remit it to the commissioner within 30 days after the end of the motor vehicle lease contract. If the lessor fails to collect the tax imposed by subsections (a), (b) or (f) of section 8903 of this title, the lessee shall pay the tax directly to the commissioner within the time prescribed for payment.

(f) Every person subject to the tax imposed by subsection 8903(g) of this title shall forward the tax form and the tax due to the commissioner along with the title application and fee at the time of applying for a certificate of title to such motor vehicle as a condition precedent to the titling thereof. (1959, No. 327 (Adj. Sess.), 5, eff. March 1, 1960; 1966, No. 66 (Sp. Sess.), 3; 1967, No. 6, 1, eff. Feb. 17, 1967; 1969, No. 276 (Adj. Sess.), 9; 1975, No. 96, 2, eff. July 1, 1976; 1983, No. 251 (Adj. Sess.), 4, eff. Jan. 1, 1985; 1989, No. 127 (Adj. Sess.), 6, eff. March 15, 1990; amended 1995, No. 19, 5, 6, eff. April 17, 1995.)

4.) The Vermont Statutes Online
32 V.S.A. 8911. Exceptions

8911. Exceptions

The tax imposed by this chapter shall not apply to:

(1) motor vehicles owned or registered, or motor vehicles rented, by any state or province or any political subdivision thereof;

(2) motor vehicles owned and operated by the United States of America;

(3) motor vehicles owned or leased by religious or charitable institutions or volunteer fire companies;

(4) motor vehicles owned and operated by a dealer and registered and operated under the provisions of sections 451-468 inclusive of Title 23;

(5) nonregistered motor vehicles other than tow or repairman vehicles;

(6) [Repealed.]

(7) motor vehicles, title to which on the effective date of this chapter is in the owner seeking registration thereof;

(8) motor vehicles transferred to the spouse, mother, father, child, grandparent or grandchild of the donor, or to a trust established for the benefit of any such persons or for the benefit of the donor, or subsequently transferred among such persons provided such motor vehicle has been registered or titled in this state in the name of the original donor;

(9) motor vehicles on which a state sales or use tax has been paid by the person applying for a registration in Vermont, or paid by a person who, at the time of tax payment to another state, was the spouse of the person now applying for Vermont registration. If the tax paid in another state is less than the Vermont tax the tax due shall be the difference;

(10) motor vehicles registered in Vermont by the transferor and transferred between that person and a business entity controlled by the transferor, if the transfer is exempt under section 351 of the United States Internal Revenue Code, as amended;

(11) [Repealed.]

(12) one motor vehicle owned or leased and operated by a permanently physically handicapped person for whom the vehicle's controls have been altered to enable the person to drive, or owned or leased by a permanently handicapped person or by a parent or guardian of a permanently handicapped person for whom a mechanical lifting device has been installed to allow for entry and exit of the vehicle, provided that the handicapped person has been certified exempt from the tax by the commissioner of motor vehicles under the provisions of section 8901 of this title;

(13) motor vehicles obtained from the government as excess government property, or vehicles purchased with 100 percent federal funds and used for federally supported local programs;

(14) a motor vehicle granted a veteran by the veterans' administration or a vehicle obtained as a replacement to one granted, when accompanied by a certificate issued by the veterans' administration center certifying the veteran to be entitled to the exemption;

(15) motor vehicles registered in this state by nonresidents under the International Registration Plan.

(16) motor vehicles registered or titled in Vermont and transferred from an individual to, or in trust for the benefit of, a former spouse if the transfer is incident to the divorce. A transfer of a motor vehicle is incident to the divorce if the transfer occurs within one year after the date on which the divorce becomes final;

(17) any motor vehicle acquired by the owner for use in leases for a period of one year or longer, provided that the motor vehicle is not registered before it is leased;

(18) motor vehicles which have escheated to the state pursuant to section 2272 of Title 24 when subsequently transferred by the agency of transportation;

(19) motor vehicles for which salvage certificates of title are obtained pursuant to section 2092 of Title 23.

(20) titles issued to the manufacturer of a vehicle which has been returned to that manufacturer pursuant to any proceeding brought under chapter 115 of Title 9. (1959, No. 327 (Adj. Sess.), 10, eff. March 1, 1960; amended 1966, No. 66 (Sp. Sess.), 5; 1967, No. 116, 5, eff. April 17, 1967; 1975, No. 96, 1, eff. April 30, 1975; 1977, No. 258 (Adj. Sess.), 4, eff. April 19, 1978; 1979, No. 202 (Adj. Sess.), 3, Pt. VI, eff. Sept. 1, 1980; 1981, No. 201 (Adj. Sess.), 1, 2, eff. April 22, 1982; 1985, No. 118 (Adj. Sess.), 3; No. 124 (Adj. Sess.), 3; 1987, No. 124 (Adj. Sess.), eff. Feb. 16, 1988; No. 241 (Adj. Sess.), 11; 1991, No. 91; 1993, No. 26, 1; 1993, No. 223 (Adj. Sess.), 1, 2, eff. June 20, 1994; 1995, No. 19, 8, 9, 11a, eff. April 17, No. 40, 2, eff. April 17, 1995; 1995, No. 80 (Adj. Sess.), 4, eff. Feb. 28, 1996; No. 112 (Adj. Sess.), 15; 1997, No. 55, 10, eff. June 26, 1997; 1999, No. 159 (Adj. Sess.), 29, 30.)

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 11:07 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

If I remember correctly in IL the tax is based on the age of the vehicle. Since my CJ is 25 years old the tax was very minimal, maybe $25. If they require a bill of sale with proof of payment amount see if the seller will give you two bills of sale, one with the real purchase price and one with a very small purchase price. Show the one with the small purchase price to the DMV. They'll never be the wiser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode