HELP!!!!! Brake Line Problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

HELP!!!!! Brake Line Problem

Okay. Yesterday my brake pedal kept getting softer and softer. By the time I go to work it was just about to the floor with little pressure and the red brake light on the speedo get kept coming on when I used the brakes. When I got home I added fluid to the master cylinder, just the small portion of the resevoir in the front. This is for the rear brakes, correct. This led me to believe that the rear wheel cylinder was leaking. However, On my way to work this morning, the same thing happened. I thought the wheel cylinder must really be shot to loose all that fluid. Picked up two new cylinders on the way home. Turns out this was not the problem. 3 years ago I did the Mopar MPI conversion and this kit changes your air filter to a long paper tube reinforced with a wire that connects to a K&N filter. Well, this paper tube with the wire in it was rubbing on one of the brake lines that comes out of the master cylinder. The wire in it acted like a little saw and put a tiny pin ***** hole in the brake line, which bled out all of the fluid. Found this out by pushing the pedal and seeing a stream come shooting out from the hood.

My question is, how the hell do I fix this?! Is the only way to replace the brake line? I need to do it now as I'm leaving for a fishing trip Saturday morning. As a temporary fix would a thin sheet of steal over the hole and duct tape tightly wrapped around it worked, or is the pressure too high? Help me O'Great ones! Oh, this is on an 85 CJ7 with manual brakes. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 10:12 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: HELP!!!!! Brake Line Problem

1 Buy:
a. Flaring tool.
b. Tube cutter.
c. Two sets of couplers for the line.
2. Cut the pinhole out of the line.
3. Slip the couplers over the ends of the cut lines.
4. Flair the line.
6. Do the same for the other line.
7. Join the lines with the coupler.
8. Refil the Master Cylinder.
9. Bleed the brake line.

It should last a few years....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 12:28 AM
Official Curmudgeon

I believe you'll find that line to be pretty short. If it's like my '80, both run from the master cylinder to the proportioning valve located on the frame slightly behind the firewall. It ain't that long and it's pretty easy to get at. It's probably easier to replace than patch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 06:13 AM
Can't Get Enough

Taz- Most brake lines have a coil at the master cylinder. This coil might be hard to duplicate without some kind of bender to keep the tube from kinking. Leve's repair sounds easier to me.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 07:15 AM

whats the actual purpose of the coils right at the MC?

maybe more volume in the line?
ive often wondered what they are for
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 07:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

the coils are for vibrations.

Take the old line off. Measure it the best you can. Go to the parts house. Buy the next longer line Add a few bigger bends to take up the extra length. Then install. You may need an adapter to the MC, not sure what size fittings they use.

You dont need a bender for brake line. I find it easier just to use my two thumbs. The coil is easy to make too. Just find a piece of pipe and wrap it around it, then slide it off.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 07:26 AM

The purpose is to keep the lines from ripping out of the master when the chassis flexes. If you overextend the rubber lines to the axles, it will pull on the hard lines, sometimes hard enough to rip the lines out. Also, the chassis flexing during normal driving is enough to stress the lines to the point of breakage if there is no slack.

The brake parts (caliper pistons and wheel cylinders) don't care how much fluid is in the line, just how much is in the master (provided that the lines are properly bled).

Whenever I replace the hard lines, I don't put the coil back in. It's difficult to do without kinking the line. I just leave a little extra line below the master.

Be warned, I don't know what the inspection laws are in your state but here we cannot use compression fittings to splice lines together.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 07:28 AM
Can't Get Enough

good question ozark, i'm curious on that one too, cuz when I re-did my brake lines I ran them straight in, I didn't put any coils into the lines at the MC, what is the exact purpose of those.....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Leve,

Yours seems the best solution right now, but the hole is right on the second loop of the line. I'm not sure how to go about replacing it. Just cut out the entire loop section and replace? Also, what size tubing do I need? J&W's has the part, but wouldn't be able to ship it out until tomorrow. That I don't get, it's 9 am here! They aren't open on Saturday and I'm driving right by there then! Oh, and the factory doesn't make the part anymore. Would a wrangler line work? If so, what year?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Anyone know the size tubing I need to buy to repair this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode