HELP!!!!! Brake Line Problem - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 05:41 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: HELP!!!!! Brake Line Problem

3/16' line is what keeps going through my mind. Almost any auto parts store will have the stuff. However if you're unsure of the measurment... cut it and take a seciton in to match it up, or measure the outside. In a pinch I've laid a piece of cardboard behind the line and drew a lines to capture it's width.

There's nothing to replacing the whole loop. But you've got a decision to make. Look at the fitting to the Master Cylinder. If it's one you can slip over the new tubing and use it... so much the better. Otherwise you'll have to re-create the loop and scab it inplace with four fittings and two couplers. That's going to be more expensive and also more prone to leakage and faiure.

For the cost of the couplers and fittings you may just buy a similar length of hard brake line and go all the way from the proporting valve to the Master Cylinder. The key is to be able to get the fitting of the proporting valve. That can be a bugger.

If you have some stiff wire, use it to make a "model" of the section you wan to replace before you cut it out. That way you always know what it looked like and do not have to rely on memory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 06:00 PM

brilliant!

vibration, tension strain releif.. I would not have guess that, but it makes great since.

learning is good

thanks!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again Leve. I checked with Classic Tube and they said it was 3/16, but the guy at the auto parts store said that sounded too small. That's why I was asking you. I like the cardboard idea. I will definitely do that as well. Anyway, I will order a replacement line from Classic tube, only about $20-$30. In the mean time I wil do the splice in method. Stop by Sears this afternoon and they have all of the tools I will need to do this, includeing a $5 bender. The most expensive tool is the flaring tool, $18. My girlfriend just got lucky, she wants me to hook up her ice maker and was going to buy the same tools I need. Hmmm.....Maybe I should tell her to buy those tools tonight.......Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 06:16 PM
Official Curmudgeon

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

My girlfriend just got lucky, she wants me to hook up her ice maker and was going to buy the same tools I need.

<hr></blockquote>I take it that means you are not using double flare?
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

To be honest Taz, I do not know what double flare is. Please teach!
post #16 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 06:47 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Brake line is double flare. It flares out for the nut and back for the seal. Go to the auto parts store and look at a brake line, you'll see it. I wouldn't think you'd get very far putting a hardware store water line fitting in a brake system. The nuts are completely different, male steel for brake, female brass for water. That's why I suggested replacing the entire line from the beginning.
post #17 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Taz. I did a search and found a write up on how to double flare a line. Damn, that tool is a wee bit more expensive. So, even as a temporary fix, using the brass water style fittings would not hold? I do plan on replacing the whole line with an OEM one, just want to fix it till the new one arrives.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 07:24 PM
Official Curmudgeon

See if you can find a line at the auto parts store with the correct ends or by using adapters. Since it's just temporary, don't worry about the coil, just leave some slack in an arc. If you try doing the double flare, buy plenty of tubing, there's a learning curve involved.
post #19 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 10:04 PM
Veteran

I just got a double flare tool this week at Harbor Freight for $9.99. Redid my brake lines and it worked great. I have a local Harbor Freight store, you might need to order online. Search for double flare on their website, order online or print out the details with part number and bring the print out to the store with you. It will save you time to ask the cashier if they have the tool and where to find it.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Re: HELP!!!!! Brake Line Problem - Update: FIXED

Okay, I fixed it last night. Don't you just love that proud feeling you get when it works? So, Just to let you know, the line that connects at the very end of the master cylinder (furthest from the firewall) is a 1/4" line. The one closest to the firewall is a 3/16" line. My understanding is that a smaller diameter line equates to more pressure which is what the front brakes need. anyway, I was even able to duplicate the coils like the OEM part. Granted, they aren't as pretty, but they are there. Total cost in parts was $5. Tools were about $40, but hey! now I have more tools to play with.

Taz, I went back to Sears and the flaring tool I had looked actual would do both single and double flares. Not bad for $18.

Once again, thanks for all your help guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode