Drivetrain noise update!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Drivetrain noise update!!

Eureka! (I think) I talked to my mechanic today and he says that he found the pilot bearing was pretty much destroyed. To the best of my knowledge that is not a good thing. I'm still a little sketchy on what it does, but I think I get it for the most part. During a previous conversation with my mechanic he told me that the clutch plate was wavy and that it had created an uneven surface on the flywheel. Today he also told me the flywheel had some busted teeth on it so he's replacing that (he found one for $80 so I'm not gonna complain). My guess is that the bad bearing caused one problem to lead to another. Here are the problems it had: Bad noise in 4th gear when letting off gas and when clutch is depressed and bell housing broken in two places (bolts for inner support bracket pulled out and pivot for throw out arm busted). So I'm hoping that with this fix all those problems will be gone. I at least know the clutch will work and the busted bell housing won't matter since I'm having a hydraulic clutch put in. I'm just hoping that the noise goes away. Next step is to get the darned thing up to school with me and work on all the rest of the stuff I want to do. HOOAH!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 02:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Drivetrain noise update!!

i had a problem close to that. but i always caught the pilot bearing wearing out every 6 months. but for my luck i was putting a dual centerforce clutch on the jeep and found out that the pilot bearing was almost sized do to mud and grime from off-roading. i usually change mine every year. or check on it. many tj's had big problems with the pilot bearing with squeaks when you depressed the clutch.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 04:18 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Pilot bearing sits in the crankshaft and holds the forward end of the tranny input shaft in line with the crankshaft. This bearing allows the crankshaft to spin at a different speed as the tranny input while keeping them in line.

Yeah, if that's busted, then all your other problems would be exacerbated as well. I still think you need a new bellhousing.

Fritz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Why would I need a new bell housing? The only broken parts are non-vital if I have the hydraulic clutch. The two places that are broken are 1. a pivot point and 2. two bolt holes torn out. It is not cracked in two or anything like that. It'll still provide protection for the clutch and the flywheel. Thats the most important part. If i'm missing something though please tell me.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 07:43 PM

the bellhousing does more than 'protect' the clutch and flywheel. its the single most important piece that connects the tranny to the engine. if the bellhousing is not square and true, you'll be putting force on the input shaft, wearing out the pilot bushing/bearing, wearing out the input shaft bearing, scoring the input shaft pilot, and ending up where you are now.

it takes less time and money to do it right than to unf*** a f****p.

when doing a clutch, ALWAYS:
1)replace pilot bushing/bearing
2)resurface flywheel
3)replace throwout bearing
4)replace clutch and pressure plate as a set
5)have more than one can of brake cleaner on hand. the pressure plate, clutch disk and flywheel surfaces MUST be oil/grease free. run it once with grease or oil on any of those, and you just bought yourself a new set
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 08:19 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

If the bellhousing has cracked, and from all the damage that was found, I would count on the metal of the bellhousing being closer to failure than a "new" one would be.

It may hold up fine, but if it has cracked once, it is more likely to do so again. Just metal stress paranoia.

Fritz
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

I haven't actually seen it out of the Jeep, so I may be talking out of my rear, but from the sounds of it there are NO cracks in it. The bolt holes where the inner support bracket hook up tore out, which means a peice of metal probly 1/2 an inch long is no longer there (I have seen this). As for the broken pivot it just sounds like thats all it is, a broken pivot. Two small peices broken off, nothing structural in it. I am having a mechanic work on the clutch and he is replacing all of the afformentioned and is replacing the flywheel since the one on there now has some broken teeth (more than two). He will resurface the new one if it needs it, but it should be good to go as is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode