Need explaination how BB's can balance a tire - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Need explaination how BB\'s can balance a tire

I have a need to know how this works.(theory)

thanks

Doug

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 10:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Need explaination how BB\'s can balance a tire

I am with Mud. Is the Idea to make the tires weigh the same on all 4 corners. Thus one tire is not heavier than the other on the axle. If someone could explain that would be great.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 10:33 AM

My understanding is that when the tire is spinning, the BBs are slung to the place that needs balance by centrifugal force. When the tire stops spinning the BBs fall. I don't know how the BBs know to go to the correct spot, I failed physics in high school [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 12:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know how this works either but I have read that golf balls work to . Sounds like a question for Team Rush or Leve.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 12:57 PM
sheesley

"centripetal force"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 01:11 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I thought it was centrifigal force? The BB's work because they are free floating and will go anywhere. But because the tire is out of whack (technical term) they will be thrown the the spot where they are needed and automatically balance the tires. I hope this makes sense. It was either that or tell you the BB's had small brains and little legs to get where they needed.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 01:17 PM

told you I failed physics in HS!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 01:32 PM

I'm skeptical that it would work in most cases, although it might work at times. Perhaps the lead shot has a dampening effect, rather than balancing. Why would tire shops go thru the nuisance and expense of owning a tire balancing machine and carefully place fixed weights if all you needed was a cup full of bbs? How much weight to add? Not all imbalances are equal, or even symetrical. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't tires dynamically balanced these days to correct for possibility that not only is the tire out of balance being heavier on on side of the circumference, but it could be heavier near one sidewall.

Centrifugal (fugal as in fugative, to flee or move away from the centre, as opposed to the word centripetal as in petition, to gather) force is the description for that curious phenomenon that drives objects away from the centre of a spinning object. Imagine a tire that is oval. One side of the oval short, the other side longer in distance from the centre. Wouldn't the short side need the additional weight? Seems to me the bb's would roll to the far side and make any imbalance caused by an imperfect circle WORSE, not better. You need weight added opposite the heavy side. Why is one side heavier? An interesting question for someone with insight into tire properties to advise us on.

I know that liquid tire repair stuff was supposed to dynamically balance motorcyle tires. Same idea as the bb's I suppose. Must work sometimes, but as I said earlier, I can't see how it could work if the tire was out of round.

Or is a tire that is heavier on one side due to it having more rubber on the inside surface, thus creating a high spot which the liquid or bb's roll away from. A perfect inner tire surface would act like a flat surface when the tire spins, and the bb's would roll away from any high spot towards any low. So if high spot = heavy spot, it should work.

Just some scattered thoughts on the subject.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 01:41 PM

Sorry to ask this but : WHAT ARE BB's ?

Thanks
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 02:07 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

You know those little metal balls that you shoot out of BB guns when your a kid? Thats what we are talking about. Pretty much the same as shotgun shot or very small ball bearings. Just really cheap and easy to find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode