CJ - homemade Steering shaft questoins - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 09:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ - homemade Steering shaft questoins

Since I made a new tie rod, making a new drag link, already have a new steering box, I realize that the next project will be the steering shaft. Its pretty beat.

I won't be spending the money on a new one but I was considering making one with the parts from stock one. Please realize this is only a trail rig.

I haven't looked at my stock shaft yet to see how I planned on doing it but I would like to remove the parts and use them again. The part that is really bad on mine are the shafts. They are very loose.

Anybody have any pics? suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 10:36 AM

Re: CJ - homemade Steering shaft questoins

The joints in at the ends of the shaft are generally the first to go. The shaft shouldn't have much play at all. You can buy new joints at tractor supply places and through catalogs, I don't have any specific sources though.

Other than that, it should be a pretty straight forward process by sleeving small diameter box tubing so the shaft will slip when the suspension flexes.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 10:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, thats what I kinda figured. Is there any better way to connect the shaft to the box? I assume you have to use those "rag" joints or what ever they are called. My joint up top is still pretty good. I figured I would make the shaft with some tubing just like you said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 11:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Take a look at flaming river website. they have pretty much all the ujoints necessary for your project and pretty much any project you will do.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flamingriver.com>http://www.flamingriver.com</a>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode