Dana 44 from the 2003 Rubicon in a '99 TJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 08:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dana 44 from the 2003 Rubicon in a \'99 TJ

As the title suggests, my friend is considering this idea. He's got the in on parts. If he were to buy the housing, would the components (outer knuckles, hubs) from the stock Dana 30 fit onto the Dana 44? i thought I remember hearing about Dana 44 conversions on CJ's where they retained the outer's from their Dana 30's. If not, I told him to find a cheap donor 44, and that way he has the outer knuckle components, and the outer axles. All he would need is the inner axles. Steering shouldn't be difficult, maybe change the pitman arm to keep stuff all 44 or all 30.
Any comments? Ideas? Recommendations?
Thanks,
Greenjeep guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 08:40 AM

Re: Dana 44 from the 2003 Rubicon in a \'99 TJ

While you can use the CJ 30 outers on some D44s (I did this on my Scout 44 front), I know that you cannot use D30 outers from a CJ on a TJ, the knuckles are not the same size. Whether or not the knuckles are the same for the TJ D30 and the D44, that's a question that I'm not sure anyone here could answer as the Rubicon has not come out yet, and there has not been a D44 front offered in a Chrysler made Jeep yet. If your friend has an in on the parts, then he should have an in on dealer info regarding this.

I do pose the question of "why"? Unless he can get the axle for short money, there are other 44s that could be swapped in for less money. You'd have to have the wiring schematic for the locker that comes in the Rubicon front, which shouldn't be a big deal but it's still a hassle. What price is he looking at for the housing?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 08:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I disagree... if he can get the axle reasonable.. pick it up...
since the tj d-30 uses a 297x u-joint, I would bet everything from the knuckles out will bolt right on....and thats a very good bet.
have him get me a few as well...I'll buy you a beer....
as far as swapping in a d-44 cheaper... i doubt it... the brackets alone are $400, then you have to try to get them all on straight, and it wont be the right bolt pattern..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 08:53 AM

If the axle is reasonable, then go for it. That's why I said that there MAY be other swaps that are cheaper.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 09:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's what I told him, research it by sitting at the dealer and going through some schematics, or (since those schematics are more than likely not out yet) go through his contact and find it out on the inside.
As far as why, yes, he can get the housing for pretty darn cheap. And since it will bolt right in, and have all the control arm brackets in the correct location, I personally think it would be worth it. I don't think he is going as far as getting the electronic locker and such. That's a bit out of his reach as far as the pocket goes. But, if he's worried about setting up the knuckles, I told him since he gets the good deal anyways, he should check into what a fully loaded axle costs. Probably outrageous, but who knows..
Hey, I just checked out the name on that one reply. Is that Patrick, or his buddy Chris? I forget which one of you called yourself Elusive.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 10:29 AM

So he's only getting the housing, and not the guts? What about axle shafts and such?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 03:42 PM

The Rubicon edition D44 comes with D30 outers.
The swap should be straight across.

I wouldnt waist my time on a D44 with D30 outers however.
You need the D44 flat top outers, in order to make any kind of affordable, and strong steering set ups.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 09:33 PM
Official Historian

And it uses low pressure (around 7psi) air lockers, NOT electric lockers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode