Is the RE 4.5" heavy duty lift w/33" tires safe? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Is the RE 4.5\" heavy duty lift w/33\" tires safe?

I am planning what kind of lift I want. My goal is to put 33x12.50 tires on my 95 YJ. The Rubicon Express 4.5" kit looks awesome. Or maybe the 3.5" BDS kit. I'm just wondering can my 2.5L motor and dana 30/35 axles handle that 33" tires and a locker? also, what extra parts would I need to buy with the kit. could i run 33" tires with the stock motor/gearing? Or would I have to buy different gearing? i've searched a lot about this kit but just thought it would be easier if i asked what you guys thought, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 01:36 AM

Re: Is the RE 4.5\" heavy duty lift w/33\" tires safe?

howdy,

I have that lift. I like it. I've had some rough times with it but It's working for me now. It was awesome off road from day one.

1st we didn't put the 2.5 degree in front to correct for caster. that was a wild ride!!

2nd I had initially left the air pressure at 30 PSI for the street. what a rough ride!!!!! I kept lowering the PSI, I'm down to around 22 PSI.

3rd started lubing the grease fittings with Mobil 1 grease. holy cow, rides like a caddy!!!!

I still have steering issues but its safe to drive. the T case drop that was included works for driving on the street. but an SYE is needed.

I don't know what to tell you about the 4 banger. seems that people run them with 33s. But maybe not on the freeway. They come stock with 4.10s

tri-county gear sells an inertia ring to increase the fly wheels mass. and this months JP magazine goes into detail about how much gear reduction a 4 popper can benefit from.

Look at the tri county gear page, they talk some stuff about how to get the most out off the four.

and the axles should be fine for awhile, just don't put a locker in it.

Greg.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 07:32 AM
JeepJohn

I've got the lift on my CJ and it's great [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] all you need to put te lift on are tools. every thing else comes in the kit. and the springs are heavy. you will NEED the the degree shims on the front as well as the rear. I put the larger in the back and none on the front HOLLY [email protected]$t that was scarry. hey speed-buggy what type of mobil 1 grease???? I have 35's and I rub bad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 10:52 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I run 33's with a YJ 2.5L, with the 5spd and 4.10 gears. Do you lose power... Yes, can you keep up with traffic on the freeway.... NO 5th gear is pretty much useless. Except when you are going down hill with a tailwind. And fule milage really went downhill for me. But before you get too scared... My 2.5L is not the most helthy one out there. Things can be done to help them out a little, but I have a motor swap coming in the not too far future.
Would I trade the lift and tires for anything... NO WAY. I love my jeep 2.5L and all.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 04:37 PM
krazykracker

I have this same kit on my '90 YJ with 33x12.50 TSL'S. I would go with 4.88 R&P so you can have 5th gear back! Fuel mileage still sucks though.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 06:29 PM

the 4.5" kit will probably be enough lift but you might need a 1" body lift or a couple cuts with the swazall. As for the axles the front should be fine since i think most '95's have 297x u-joints which are the same as those that come in d44's. The rear is questionable. Some people make d35's live for ever and others kill them every time they go out. I personally swapped my d35 for a ford exploer 8.8. My guess is you could do the swap for under $500 though i'm not sure if you could throw gears in there for that cheep unless you know how to install them. I went with an 8.8 because they have bigger ring gear, 31 spline shafts vs 27 spline d35 shafts, factory rear discs my jeep stops on a dime now (not really but much better than it used to), and bigger tubes. It is a c-clip axle though the discs are susposed to hold the axles in when you brake a shaft. If you want unbreakable get a 35 spline d60. I got my 8.8 for $250 w/ 3.55's (they matched my front axle, 4.10s were a factory option). Then put probably $100 into new brake pads, cutting the rotars, a new brake line (i think i used 2 pass side soft lines and my d35 hard lines), gear lube, and other mis parts. New spring pads and shock mounts will run you less than $50 a set. Now add up the costs for welding and you are good to to. I second the 4.88's, they will put you back into the factory rpm range with 33's and will work for 35's alright.

BarrelRoll
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 07:42 PM
MellowYellowCJ7

Hi JeepJohn,
I saw your post about rubbing bad with the 4.5Ē lift and 35ís. Iíve been pondering this for my Jeep. Do you have a body lift, and have you done any trimming? I looked at your sig and didnít see anything about that.

My 83 CJ7 has Rancho 2.5ís/1Ēbody/and TJ flares right now. I think I could clear 33ís pretty easily. I only have 32ís and my 4.56/T18 is killing me. I trailer everywhere, because I canít take the engine screaming for mercy.

Just how bad do you rub when the Jeep is flexing? Would a 1Ē body and some trimming be enough? I assume Iíd still have to put large bump stops.

Sorry if Iím taking this post of topic.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 09:39 PM

jeeper99XJ,

The RE 4.5 extreem duty lift on a YJ will fit 33 inch tires. no proublem. I've only rubbed 3 times. If a little fender rug bothers you, you can get longer bump stops. thats how the other lift companies get away with 33 inch tires with a 3 1/2 inch lift.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 07:48 AM
JeepJohn

Hey mellow PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode