Putting on an offroad event? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Putting on an offroad event?

The badlands bash was a success this year though it could be much better in '03 if i knew what i was doing so i've got a couple questions for those that have put on events or been to "real 4wd events".

Dirt Dog keeps talking about talking getting some manufactures to get to donate door prizes and things like that. Anybody have an idea how to get prizes and even little things like sitckers and brochures to hand out from them? Do you have to be associated with something, i guess we are associated with off-road.com though i don't think they "santicon" the run.

Any ideas on putting on a barbaque and maybe some entertainment one night at the camp ground?

It would be nice to make up stickers and T-shirts for the run though how do you handle that so some one doesn't get screwed with t-shirts that no one wants.

Any way to get the date in the Offroad Mags or to even have them come out and take some pictures? Or do we not want them to come out and take pictures and publicize the event?

Advanced regestration, do most runs have andvanced regestration? I'm not srue how this works since we will be camping at one camp ground, wheeling at the badlands and i'm guessing we would want it to include a t-shirt, sticker, chance at the possible door prizes, bbq one night. How is that handled, i'm not sure if the badlands does something to accomidate runs like this or not?

Also for those that are wondering another badlands bash is tentatively scheduled for may 3-5 at the badlands offroad park in attica indiana so mark your calendars.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 01:41 AM

Re: Putting on an offroad event?

Well, I don't have any experiance in the off-road event department, but as with other events..

Either demand everyone pre-books, or have perks for pre-booking.. eg. cheaper? Then everyone who pays get t-shirts.. it can be included into the cost.. so can the BBQ and the entertainment cost.. the trick is finding a happy medium for cost. one that wont have you picking up the tab, but also wont have everyone paying a ton..

Personally, I'd try and get all money upfront.. then make it unlimited.. or so.. almost like an all inclusive resort.. alcohol will probably have to be BYOB otherwise you'd need a licence.. but the food, camping fees, off-road fees, tshirt, and pop or something can all be included..

I know I'd much rather go to an event where I know that the seeming large ammount of $$ I originally paid would be the last until I left, instead of being nickle and dimed all weekend..

Figure out a cost per-person.. or per vehicle.. request pre-registration and payment.. then if anyone turns up at the last minute charge them 150% or something... because if you think about it, your going to be the one ending up driving to town at 4PM one afternoon, cutting your wheeling short, before the 6PM BBQ because some lazy person couldn't be bothered to re-register..

As for prizes.. I'm always amazed by most companies providing something... even if it is just a flat tire fix kit or something.. occasionally you get the company that jumps right on donating a brand new set of 4 tires as well as bringing 2 trucks to participate, 4 employees to run the stand, and a tent full of merchandise..

I always love the events, whatever they may be, where everyone walks away with a prize no matter how small.. I think last time I payed $100 to get in, had a blast the whole evening, dinner was included, and then walked away with a prize that was worth $20 to a consumer and something that I would have never considered buying but it really topped the cake..

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 06:56 AM

I would wonder about insurance/liability in a case like that. It may be something you want to investigate, the last thing anyone needs is for someone to get hurt while attending the meet, and sue you. From what I've heard from people trying to do the same thing around here, a standard liability release just won't cut it anymore in a courtroom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 09:04 AM

If you run it under an association like SFWDA or United, they have event rider policies you can purchase cheaply (our last one was $75 for the event). So get a local club to "sponsor" it and buy the rider.

Makes life easier for everybody and keeps the damned lawyers at bay.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 02:52 PM
Nickmil

Insurance is an absolute must unless you want to risk losing everything you own if someone is injured. Tax liability is another issue to think about. If sponsored by a registered non-profit organization like a club or association you could be exempt from tax issues. Mandatory pre reg doesn't always work but incentives like $5 off for pre registration does. Make the flyer in such a way so they can order extras (ie t-shirts, bumper sticker's, etc.) at the same time as registration. It does help sell more product. Make sure you have a pre reg cutoff date to give yourself plenty of time to order the extra's as well as any food that may need to be purchased. That way you have a count ahead of time. Order some extra's for the day of the event and make them first come first served and put that on the flyer as well. Sometimes that prompts people to pre reg as well. Having food there is always a big plus. Even if it is a concession stand with hot Coffee, cold pop, cheap Chili Dogs, etc. if that stuff is not already provided. Another issue is make sure the courses are pre run and the people helping out are familiar enough with the territory so if they need to send for help or direct someone to the quickest way back to camp they can do so accurately. As far as raffle and door prizes go, have your people canvas the local businesses. Obviously 4x4 shops and parts houses, but try restaurants for a free dinner for two, local repair shops for free inspections, Tire shops, even department stores for free gift certificates, etc. You might try E-mailing different businesses also. Info as to where the proceeds where be going is a huge help as well as a copy of the registration form. An introductory letter people can hand out to prospective donor's is also helpful. A thank you letter sent to donor's after the fact with a bumper sticker or dash plaque shows appreciation and is well received by the donor's also and helps insure future support. Just a few suggestions from someone who has been involved in setting up or helping with several events. Best of luck, and most important, have fun!
Nickmil.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 09:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

andy, we might be able to provide a hog, if somone can bring a roaster and chip in on the cost of the hog and Ice to get it there.

I enjoyed last year, would be nice to get some more people.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 05:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Count me in for the 2003 Badlands bash! I couldn't make it this year because we moved from MN to WI that weekend. But I'm goin' this time.

As far as getting door prizes, we did this for the Wisconsin MoPar Muscle Club for our spring shows. We just picked a pile of manufacturers, sent out some form letters and told them about the event, approximate vehicle count, and asked if they could send door prizes and/or "goodie bag" stuffers (stickers, brochures, key chains etc.). We got some really nice stuff to give away! Dynomax sent a pair of mufflers, a local Dodge dealer sent a gift certificate for $100 worth of MoPar Performance items, some other really cool stuff too!

Ideas for making the event "bigger"?...I like the idea of smaller events. The big ones seem to grow out of control and get more congested on the trails. A bunch of people show up that you don't know and who don't care if the event is held next year. I kind of like the idea of a tighter group of people who can decide on a smaller level what to do next. Don't get me wrong, Large events have their place, but the idea of a smaller group of 'friends' seems like more fun to me. Just my $.02 .
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

A hog would be buitiful. I'll pm you on that in a couple weeks. I'm not sure who would sponser this "event" since off-road.com is a for profit organization. I like the idea of keeping it kinda small, maybe just the guys on this board and your friends and club members, though i don't think there is a way to "limit" regestration unless you do something like they must be a regestered bbs member but that seems like a pain or put a number on that but that also becomes a pain since what if a bbs celebrity like dirtdog doesn't know if he's going till after the amount is filled and it wouldn't be the same with out him. Maybe for the regestration if you pre register you get a t-shirt and the chance to order more and if you don't no t-shirt for you? Also another question i had was who do people make checks payable to and how do you handle the finances? I had an idea to charge the people that show up that day the same amount and then use that and any extra money for raffle prizes that saturday night, maybe hit the local autozone and liquor store. Anybody else want to help organize and put on the next bash? I've got a ton of ideas and if we start now this think could be killer.

BarrelRoll
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 12:31 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Aren't you a little young to be thinking about making beer runs? The idea of a shirt if you preregister vs. no shirt is a good one. But I'd still limit the number of total registrants. But say it fills and you know there is one more person you'd like to come you can always bend the rules.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

I don't want to get into the bending the rules for certain people, that's an easy way to make enemies and even if i know some one like dirt dog and i don't know some one like old joe schome he might add just as much as dirt dog (not really just an example) so i'd like to make it open to every one but if i was to put a limit on it what would be a good number?

Also any more thoughts on "sponsorship" and insurance?

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode