Help....Rebuilding a 1977 CJ5 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Help....Rebuilding a 1977 CJ5

I have inherited the 77 CJ5 that my grandad bought several years ago to pull behind his motorhome. We did lots of things together in it and it has a special place with me. I would like to rebuild it to get in perfect shape for me to use and eventually to give to my son. I have been driving it as is for several years and it is awesome. I go to the mountains in Northern New Mexico and in Colorado and it has never let me down. It is now starting to have a few problems. I was hoping that someone could help me with the parts I should use. It has a AMC 304 with a t150 3 speed a Dana 30 Front axle and an amc 20 rear. I have worked on cars before some and I am a engineer, but I am not sure of what it takes to build a good Jeep. What parts can I rebuild, what parts can I buy new original, and what parts should I try to beef up. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 10:16 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Help....Rebuilding a 1977 CJ5

It all depends on what you plan to do with this Jeep. How do you plan to use it, and how do you plan to abuse it? Look for things that will make it more useful, not things that will make it "cool". Go for safety first. Make sure the cage is strong and tied into the frame. Good seats and belts are a must. Make sure you have the basic equipment with you such as straps, D-rings, Hi-Lift, etc. Make sure you have proper recovery points on the Jeep. Dont go for the cheesy tube bumbers and nerf bars you see running around. These will lose ground clearance and are not as strong as square bumpers and rock-rails. Once you are safe, equipped and armoured, then start on more drivetrain beef. One piece axle, lockers, winch, lift, shocks, etc. are going to depend on what you plan todo and how serious you want to get. There are more parts made for Jeeps than any other vehicle ever created, so you can rebuild, replace, or modify any part on your Jeep.

One word of caution, many "simple Jeep rebuilds" get addictive and become a way of life. You have been warned! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode