Need help with a decision - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 05:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need help with a decision

Hey all. I've been reading the board for the past couple of months here at work. I'm having trouble deciding on a course of action right now. My Jeep isn't runnign due to a carb from you know where...so I have 2 options presenting themselves.

1. A local J-Yard has a '95 305sb with TBI full wiring harness, and computer included for $750.

2. Weber carb for the 258 for $349.

3. TBI for 258 $1599

Im thinking the 305 motor is going to be a good bet, but I'll most likely have to get a new tranny to bolt with it wont i? or do they make an adapter from SBC to AMC TH400?

With the Webber. Will it work since I have NO emmisions equipment left on my Jeep at all? I have a nice clean engine bay, and very few hoses and am wondering if the Weber can run without the 800000 hoses that come on these Jeeps =)

As for the EFI....that's a whole lotta money for efi. I'm thinking a 305/tranny/xfer package from a J-Yard would be cheaper lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 06:50 PM
Journeyman

Re: Need help with a decision

The Weber will run without all the emmission stuff. Rosser has them cheaper than $349 I think. Check them out at www.thinkjeep.com.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:45 PM

One thing I'll say about the 305, it's at least got the TBI on it already. I don't think I'd go that way, since you can probably hang out and get a 350 with TBI for about the same price. The engines are identical in exterior dimensions, and I believe weigh about the same. The 350 will be more powerful, and cheaper to work on. And you could make it a 383 down the road with a new crank and a little machine work....*grin* THAT is my favorite GM toy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 10:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Where I'm at complete engines don't show up very often. Of course I can find a V-6 or a 4-Banger anyday, but as for V8s they just aren't very common for sale around here. The only 350s I have seen for sale are all carbed and/or are selling like hotcakes around 1500.

That's why I haven't already grabbed a 350. If there was one for this price with TBI...it'd already be in my Jeep =)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 12:29 AM

I see! In that case the 305 becomes a viable option. It IS a better engine than the 304 I'm running, and fuel injection is much better than carb anyday! When my 304 gives up the ghost, I'll probably drop in a 5.0L EFI Ford. I'll go that route beacuse it is a narrower V than the SBC and will make under the hood a little roomier. I was going to drop in a 360, but the deal I had going suddenly became uneconomically feasible. I believe both Novak and Advance Adapters have everything you need to bolt the 305 up to your existing set up. Pretty much everything you read about a 350 conversion will apply. Good luck with it!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 11:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the help, Looks liek I get to go pull an engine once I get my gears fixed in the front end(stripped ring gear). So They make an adapter to bolt it to my AMC TH400? That Rules lol. I kinda like this tranny and didnt want to lose it. It's the only tranny I've ever had that can run for 3 days without tranny fluid and not get something fried.(my filler tube fell out lol).
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 12:44 PM
Veteran

you can do tbi on your engine for under $800 if you dont want to have to do the entire engine swap now and later when this engine dies you can always modify the tbi to work on just about any other engine.

-web
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 10:06 PM
Official Historian

You've got two options for adapting the 305. Advance Adapter makes an adapter ring that is 5/8" thick to mate the SBC to the AMC bellhousing. The other route is to get a GM pattern TH400 and swap your output shaft into it. One advantage of the 305 over the 350 is that the stock radiator should be able to keep it cool which will cut down some of the swap cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode