Stock CJ7 Computer replacement ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 02:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stock CJ7 Computer replacement ??

What do i replace it with ? Its stuffed and is telling me daily in its own special ways... dying mid freeway... dying mid onramp, dying as i get 1/2 way through passing a big f***off truck !

HELP!

g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 03:45 PM

Re: Stock CJ7 Computer replacement ??

I'd doubt that it is the computer. Since you have a Weber carb already, all the computer does is advance or retard your timing. We need more info - have you done the TR upgrade, what conditions does this happen in? You say passing, getting on the on-ramp, but does it happen if you're just cruising along? Does the engine just quit, or does it sputter and putt first?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 03:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good point...

I have been having carb related problems for a while... its a new on weber... 32/36... and defn has a vaccuum blow... which i tried to temp fix over the weekend...

I also fitted a fuel reg over the weekend... and turned it to 3psi as a friend whos been running webers for 12 years suggested i do as he has done.

Today ... cruising back home... only 1/2 a mile... gone... and coffing like a dying dog... then died dead. Jumped out and removed the filter to check if the choke had jammed shut... no - it was fine... jumped in and started it ... started straight up... then coffed and 1/2 died all the way home... what the hells up.

Has a new pump also ... i put that on about 2 weeks ago... and have checked the filter and all the lines.... i think the filter may need replacing ! not just checking !

I planned to switch the computer anyways ... so figured if i do the carb can be tuned right from the get go.

g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 04:04 PM

Did it do this before you installed the regulator? If not, remove the regulator and try and duplicate the problem. It may be fuel starvation, some can get away with 3psi, others need 5-6 to run properly. What was your "temp fix" for the vacuum leak? I wouldn't cross off ignition problems off the list yet, have you done the TR upgrade? When was the last tuneup? What do your spark plugs look like?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 04:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

before the reg... Not this bad ! but did splutter alot... i attributed it to an air lock in the fuel line as when last week i went off road an got it tilted right over on a hell of an angle... and fuel leaked out of the tank hoses... then after which it ran sweet... making me think the air had been forced out...

tune laast was a few months back but by a bunch of total DICKHEADS... BnH in Doncaster, North Yorkshire UK! FYI !

Good point on the plugs... ! i better check em... !

The vaccuum leak... i covered the holes that were visable in my gasket directly below the carb... with liquid gasket crap... and i know thats not fixed... as it still hunts and clearly has a blow... in many places all round that gasket... where can i order those gasket from ? any ideas ?

TR ? It has a HEI ... as of a few months back... whats TR?

g
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 04:51 PM

If your tank is properly vented, then you should have no problems with air locking. The pump would dislodge any bubbles in the fuel.

You've got to start eliminating the known "wrongs". Start by fixing the carb gasket the right way. Vacuum leaks can cause an engine to run like crap. I don't know where you can get the gasket from, probably from a vehicle that had that carb stock. You could also make a gasket with the liquid gasket, just make sure it's rated for contact with fuel.

The TeamRush upgrade (TR) is pretty much a tuneup using Ford parts - cap, rotor, wires, coil, etc. Do a search and you'll find out the specifics. I don't know anything about HEI distributors, so I can't help you there.

On a sidenote, any reason you didn't do the tuneup yourself? I only take vehicles to mechanics if I've exhausted all other means - friends, the internet, books, etc. I can't justify paying someone to do something I could do myself for a lot less $$$.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 02:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK - ripped out the reg... and the filter... replaced the filter... and it runs like a baby... !

A clean fuel filter is a wonderous thing !

Still need a new module tho ! Any suggestions !?? Thanks for the help so far !

g
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 03:12 PM

The GP Sorenson module I just purchased was $15. Not sure if it's availiable in Europe.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 04:59 PM
Old Hand

Gggg,

You've got the TR upgrade, not a HEI... You are using the Ford ignition parts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode