serial... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 01:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

serial...

Ok, so i'm a newby here. I got a jeep CJ5 1977, but I tried to find what kind of motor I got. The problem is: on the valve cover I got a number but it said it's a 360 1976 december 2(912N02). Iwant to be sure it are real cover so can you help me to find a other numbers somere on the block. Some friend said it's a 304, but 304, 360 and 401 have similar part,so...

Thanks
Sven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 01:57 PM

Re: serial...

I believe that on the passenger side of the engine under the motor mount the size of the engine is cast into the block. 304, 360, etc.
That is where it was on my old 304.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:49 PM

I don't believe a CJ ever came stock with the 360. However, a december 76 date on the engine is still a 77 engine. Have you run your VIN code to see what it is supposed to have in it? Also, if the engine is original (by no means guaranteed) there is usually an emissions sticker on the grill in front of the radiator under the hood. Mine tells the exact engine and timing. Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 10:42 PM
Official Historian

Actually, the displacement is cast as raised letters on BOTH sides of the block. The letters are about 2" tall so they should be easy to see if you poke around under there with a flashlight.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 08:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tanks guy I fond it...but , big puzzle.
It's realy a 360 for the block, the head and the cover but after some search the intake, the carburator and, probably the cam are 304 certified by a mecanical man. I have to check for the cam so this winter i will reopen the motor to be sure about that.

Thanks again Sven
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 09:43 AM
Official Historian

The 304 and 360 use the same crank. The cams are interchangable too. The 360's larger displacement will allow it to use a more agressive aftermarket cam though. The 360 was most commonly used with a 2 barrel carb same as the 304. The block exterior dimensions are the same with the only exterior difference being the displacement number cast in the block. The only interior difference is the size of the bore. The 304, 360 and 401 all have the same bore spacing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode