Hello and lots of questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 11:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hello and lots of questions

Hello everyone!
I've been looking around reading some of the old posts about Jeeps. I have been picking up quite a bit of information. I haven't bought a Jeep yet. I am still unsure if I want new or used. I'm leaning towards new, so let me ask a few questions...

Hard top, full doors and soft top, or the dual top option?
I've had a FJ-40 in the past and the hard top was a bugger to get off. The new Jeep hard top looks easy and lighter too. Has anyone bought the dual tops and how did having both work out?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 11:46 AM
Official Historian

Re: Hello and lots of questions

Just curious, where in central AR are you?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 02:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

West of Conway about a mile shy of Houston. How 'bout you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 01:55 PM

You are in Arkansas, I don't know what your weather is like, up here in Canada, I'd think you would be silly not to get a hard top and run in the winter (just my opinion). So think about that if you are looking at new.

To answer your question I got the dual top option on my 98 TJ. The hardtop is not that hard to switch, it's not heavy just awkward, you can always make some sort of lift if you have a garage. If I had to do all over again, I would still get the dual top. If you just get the soft top, you have to pay extra for full hard doors, if you just get the hard top you get the doors, but if you decide to get a softtop later you have to buy extra hardware, at least on a TJ. For $850 CDN I got the dual top option, made sense to me.

Rob
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 03:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks FatBoyRob,
That was exactly what I was looking for. I was afraid that if I ordered both tops, one of them would just add to the junk pile in the garage.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 08:57 PM

My Tj originally came with a hard top and then when summer came i ordered a bikini, duster, windjammer setup along with seat covers and bedlining the interior. I thought i would be set. I don't like that set up one bit, the bikini set up lets a lot of water in (getting wet on the way to school isn't fun) and doesn't seal well enough to run past october (gets too cold). And the hard top takes 2 people to take off, isn't that quiet, you need a place to keep it and when i was wheeling in the winter with it on i hated it, one time i was real close to rolling with the hard top on and if i rolled i would have been screwed and probably killed my hard top vs. if i had a soft top i wouldn't have had the 150-200lbs pulling my jeep towards it side and if i rolled worse to worse i would have had some bent top bows and a hole that needed duct tape to patch. I'm out side chicago so it gets cold but not that cold. I picked up a used super top for dirt cheep and now am trying to sell my hard top. I'm not too worried abuot it in the winter, i can always throw another jacket on. I think a soft top fits my needs better than a hard top but also i'm young dumb and stupid, i think sx's arnt that bad of a street tire and run with out doors in january when it's a nice day.

Barrelroll
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 10:10 PM
Official Historian

I'm in Rogers now. I grew up from first grade to a couple years out of high school in Conway and my parents and one brother still live there. I've ridden my bicycle out through Houston a few times.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 03:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Will,
Next time you pedal out our way stop in at the Flying G Quarter Horses place and say hello. I see bikers riding by nearly every day. It seems like more of them are switching to Harleys now though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode