Magellan GPS - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Magellan GPS

I'm thinking about getting one, one of my coworkers has a MAP 410. Is this a good unit? Is it over kill? Will it be good enough to take on trail systems without getting lost? Is it easy to use? Any input would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Magellan GPS

Can't say anything personally about the 410, but <a target="_blank" href=http://opentopic.groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=frm&amp;s=1750973553&amp;f=5740990093> THIS SITE</a> will give you more help than you can stand.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 12:20 PM

There are two general directions you can go. One is to get a fancy GPS with a big screen, downloadable maps and lots of memory. Or you can buy a pretty cheap GPS, a cheap laptop computer, and a map software package.

The former is obviously what you want if you're going to go hiking with it, but there is something to be said for the latter to use in a vehicle. The screen is a lot bigger than anything you'll ever see in a GPS, which is mighty nice when driving. Also the maps are usually more detailed than those you'll find for download to a GPS. When I was shopping a few years ago, there were street maps for download, but the only way I could get fire roads and trails was with DeLorme TOPO maps for the PC. That might have changed by now. The PC map software has a lot of business names and locations, street number information, gas stations, hotels, motels, and stuff like that.

I got a used laptop for $350, a 400 Watt inverter for $30, and DeLorme TOPO for about $80. It works great with my Magellan 320, which is more than I need for the application. I think you can now get a GPS that will communicate with a computer for well under $100.

My 320 has worked very well and reliably for almost three years now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Addict

The 410 I have access to is suppose to be accurate to 50 feet. Are the new ones with wass technology more accurate? What is wass?
I really just want something that will let me mark trail intersections, so I can find my way back home. I don't need to download street maps, I have my rand mcnally for that.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 01:24 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

If all you are looking for is something to show you where in the earth you are, then just about any GPS will work for you. The lower models just don't have the roads and such on them. I've got the Garmin GPS3 and it does have the roads and it comes in handy more times than you can imagine. There are models out there for $150 or less that will do what you want just fine. I don't know how accurate they are, but 50 feet is plenty accurate when your looking for something like a trail. It'll get you close enough to where you need to be. I have heard of others that are as accurate as 10 feet, but I can't think of what make or model they are. I hope this helps.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 01:34 PM

Sorry I can't help you out with wass. That's new since I was in the market.

As for accuracy, 50 feet certainly is plenty good to get you to a trail intersection, but 50-foot accuracy is not very good these days. My 320 seemed to be accurate to within about 5 feet after the Defense Department removed the built-in error. I think that since September, they must have put it back, because 20 feet now seems more like it.

The problem I have run into is that when I get to an intersection, I sometimes don't know which way to go out of it. Even knowing the bearing to the next intersection doesn't always help because of the way trails wind around. That's where it's handy to have a map in the system. You can see the intersection on the map, along with an arrow trail showing how you got there, so the way out is obvious. On the other hand, what would exploring be if you didn't wander around a little?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 08:48 PM

My old Garmen 12 (RIP)didn't have street maps, but it would draw a map of where you've been. It was accurate enough to detect lane changes! Not bad for a $120 GPS.

I'm looking into the Magellan Meridian Marine as my next GPS. I do a lot of boating, it's got a lot of built-in maps and you can download more detailed maps into it. It's still a hand-held but I believe it will talk to a computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode