Looking at a Wagoner - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Looking at a Wagoner

Today, after work I am going to take a look at a grand wag. If it is in good shape I want to pick it up for a winter everyday driver, and then mayber an axle doner in the spring.
I was hoping that I could get some advise as to what to look for. What are the weak spots on a Wag. (soft spots to check the frame) noises, and in general anything that may cause a problem. I have never owned a truck with a carb and I have concerns about starts on cold mornings? Anyone drive a wagg in a cold climat?
Any feedback would be great, good or bad. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 07:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Looking at a Wagoner

What year is it? You really don't want '82-83? those years have a vacuum box on top of the front diff. After 1986, most should have Dana 44 front and rear which are an easy swap to your YJ. I have never had one so I can't comment on the rust/driveability. I just thought I would give you a heads up on parts swapping.

Later,
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:17 AM

I dont think ALL of the ones in 82-83 had the vac front axle, but it is something to watch for, you dont really wan tto mess with that unless its free or near it.

they are prone to rust where the fuel tank rests againts the frame rails, some so badly they are apart if you remove the tank!

they dont give mych trouble in the cold weather its a simple carb ( autolite 2100 or 2150) both are simple 2 bbls, simple choke, and simple adjustmets its easy to make it start and run how youd like.

the rear windows rarely work right, its usually the wiring and saftey switchs, not the actual window motor itsself, the rear quarters get rusty, and of course the floorboards.

the electronic do dads seem to give the most problems, the power windows, door locks, most can be fixed by cleaning the contacts, or fixing connections to ground.

the engines and trannys, are pretty durable, look for oil pressure when the engine is at operating temp.

look at the bottom of the bellhousing to see if the trans is venting fluid or leaking fluid.

good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the info. I am glad to hear that they will run in the cold. And the info on the axle info is always nice to know.
So if I understand correctly the 82-3s had axles like the newer 4wd system. Vac run without locking hubs. Does that sound right? So what I am looking for are locking hubs? Is that correct?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 10:28 AM

the axles you DONT WANT, have a vacum disconnect axle shaft thing, where they use vacum to slide a splined sleeve to engage one sides axle shaft, they have a box and some hoses on teh DIFF housing or cover.

the presence of locking hubs or No hubs WILL NOT tell you for sure, most after 1981 dont have locking hubs, they have drive slugs, and al you do is unbolt them and slide a locking hub in its place.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 10:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

You only need to look for a small diaphram on top of the diff with a hose coming out of it. If it has one, you really don't want to swap that axle. None of the Waggy's have factory lockouts. You can convert the fulltime hubs with any D44 lockouts.

Later,

PS I am not positive on the years for the vacuum axles. Just look for the box/hose and you can't miss it. Also if the rear diff has a completely round cover it is a Model 20HD. It is a good axle, but it is not a D44 if that makes a difference.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode