CJ/D30 - Drag Link Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 06:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ/D30 - Drag Link Question

Hey All,

Just finished making my heavy duty tie rods with Heim Joints (I made a spare tie rod also)

I have SOA and the steering is all under the springs. I finally drilled out the knuckles and mounted the tie rod on top. My god, what a difference. Now I am looking at my Drag link and I was wondering if there is any way to do the same thing.

My question is about flex. Right now there is only about 1.5-2 inches between the spring and the drag link. I am wonder (I haven't flexed it out yet) how much closer it will get to the spring.

If I move it on top of the knuckle there won't be much room at all.

THANKS>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 07:33 AM
Veteran

Re: CJ/D30 - Drag Link Question

I assume you meant on top of the cast in steering arm not the knuckle. The CJ is a rare case where an S draglink would actually work without effecting steering or inducing play since it directly attaches to the steering arm. So... you could either use a heavy duty bent draglink or a built S drag link and mount it on top of the arm. However I would only do this for a trail-only rig. I've actually seen a custom built cross-over steering setup where a stearing arm was fabricated on top of the CJ knuckle to bring the draglink above the springs. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures but it looked easier to do on a flattish CJ knuckle than on the slanted YJ one I have.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 07:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, this is a trail rig only. I am probably going to have to build a S drag link. Anybody have any suggestions for this? Whats the best way to build one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 08:13 AM
Official Historian

You can tie a nice bow knot in the draglink. It's not the shape of it that creates bump steer, it's the height difference between the pitman arm and the steering knuckle. The only reasons to use an s shaped draglink is for clearance of a spring over or to keep the tie rod ends near the middle of their range of motion. It is not to reduce bump steer.

That being said, if you move you drag link to the top of the steering arm and make it s shaped, it will reduce the bump steer because you are decreasing the height difference between the pitman arm and the steering arm attaching point.

Another option, although more expensive, is to get some flat top dana 44 knuckles and put high steering on it. They will swap in place of the dana 30 knuckles and if you swap to a dana 44 in the future, it'll be less expensive than doing it all at once.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Understood. So any suggestions on making an s drag link? How should I re-inforce it? Thanks.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:09 AM
Official Historian

Just bend it cleanly and gusset the bends a couple inches to each side.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:56 AM
M38

here's a pic of mine I don't like it much but it's working for now

clint
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 872608-Jun11_07.jpg (59.7 KB, 8 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:56 AM
tys

Don't forget that you'll have to purchase the spindles, hub, rotor, GM brake calipers, etc, etc. It isn't just the expense of buying the knuckles...you have to have one side machined, purchase the adapter, have a drag link fabricated, etc, etc. It's actually a HUGE expense. Either bend your drag linka dn gusset it or go D44 and be done with it.

Chris
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 10:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What don't you like about it?

Also, Are the tie rod ends on the drag link the same size as the tie rod? That way I can drill them to 5/8's also like my tie rod holes.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode