4x4 not working? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

4x4 not working?

what is the easiest way to tell if 4x4 hi and low are working on my '95 YJ? i just got stuck in the sand, and the wrecker that got me said the 4wd is not working, which would make sense because the front tires never spun. Just wondering how to tell if 4x4 hi might work and just not low gear. Also, is there someplace that can give better instructions for using the 4wd on my jeep? i read the manual but am still unclear on how it works. do i have to be moving to engage 4wd, or can I engage it while I'm stopped then start going with it? Also, are there supposed to be any indicator lights telling if the 4wd is activated? sorry for the questions, but just mad because 4wd doesn't work on new jeep after dealer said it was perfect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 01:25 AM
FrenchJeeper

Re: 4x4 not working?

Hello,

First off all welcome on board and please fill your profile...
To check if 4wd is workink raise all the wheels and start the engine, look what happen, they should all turn...
If your front axle is the Dana with the vaccum stuff on the passenger side my bet is that your vaccum line has been sitting to close to the exhaust and has a hole in it...To check it out unplug the one going to the axle, start the engine in 4wd and test if there is any depressurisation in them...If not, you ll have to put new ones, they are coming from the T-case.
Good luck
Sorry for my english, i am french!!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 01:41 AM

yup the old vacuum disconect on the D30. Seems like only 9 mounths ago that mine stopped working. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

there is A 4wd light on the dash that comes on when the vacuum disconnect on the front axle engages.

do a search. I posted two weeks ago how to hot wire it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 04:09 AM
Can't Get Enough

Try the link in my signature to see if that helps at all. It should be very close to your set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode