Rear-steer legal? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Rear-steer legal?

I noticed that the bulk of the Tuff-Trucks (4Wheeler) this time around have rear-steer using hydralics and they also all have valid registrations. Is hydraulic rear-steer legal? I know that the front has to have a solid link, but what about the rear?

Fritz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 08:56 PM

Re: Rear-steer legal?

yeah it seams that it would be possible seeing that the auto makers have dabbled in it. I think that AWS is an option on new chevy full size trucks. I wonder what the requirements are.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 09:01 PM

I believe that it is legal....but the catch is that the rear wheels have to turn with the front wheels. Meaning they can't be turned seperately, so you won't be able to do the monster truck crab down the street with it!

Alec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 09:04 PM

Here in NH, as far as I know rear steer is illegal UNLESS it came from the factory that way. The new Chevy's do have this option, so did '87(?) Honda Preludes that were made in Brazil - a few wound up here in the US. The major difference in the factory setup is that the rear wheels don't turn anywhere close to the range of the fronts, making it rather idiot proof. Also, the rear wheels do not have a separate control like most homebuilt rear steer setups I've seen.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 07:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It would be awesome to do the crag walk down the street! Well, anyhow, the way it works with monster trucks is that when you steer the rear wheels and then let go of the steering switch they automatically pop back to the straight position. And they can also be locked in by putting pins in. We use to do that to the Little Tiger truck on long straight line drags. So if you have a setup like that then I'm sure it can be street legal if you don't use the rear steer on the street. Just lock it in, and use the rear steer for the trails only. The largest obsticle however is affording a system like that!!! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode