Tips needed on starting a club in college! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Tips needed on starting a club in college!

I am going to school in western IL where there is lots of private land that would be great for wheeling but nothing public. And there is also no club at my school for off-roading yet. I look out my window and see lots of Jeeps and think to myself, why can't I get all of these together to make a nice happy Jeepin family. So I want to start a club. I was thinking that maybe I could talk some of the local land owners to the usage of their land. How could I go about this. Are there any perks for them of having a club use the land? Are there any choice phrases that would make them think about letting a club use their land? Also how can I convince the school that a 4x4 or Jeep club is a good idea? Another requirement the school has is that the club write a constitution. Any ideas on how to go about that? Are there any state or national organizations that the club should register with? If so what are the dues they expect and what would be a good amount for dues for a club? I am certainly not trying to make any money, just have a good time with people of similar interests. If anyone has any other ideas of things I need to do or should think of doing for a club please let me know. I've never been a member of a club and don't really know how one is run. Thanks much for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 07:15 PM
Addict

Re: Tips needed on starting a club in college!

clubs in college can be tricky. first, if you can go without around chargin dues, i know that i avoid clubs that charge em. I know i have better things to spend my money on, such as food. you will in all likelyhood need a faculty or staff advisor. if you havent already, go to the office of student affairs/atudent activities/student organizations. they should point you in the right direction on as to what exactly they are looking for in a constitution. go to a few club meetings and sit in. talk to the officers there and see how they went about setting up their club. all this might be easier if you have a couple(not too many) like minded friends to helpp move things along/ brain storm.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 08:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know that here at the college that I work for, something like this would not get off the ground. The institution will be looking at the liability of the clubs events. I am the advisor for the campus based “Outdoor Adventure Club.” We are very limited in the events that can be participated in, again, by Liability [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img].

If your institution will go along with this club, start by contacting the Student Activities Office. Explain to them your intentions. You probably will need a minimum membership. The Activities office will, usually, supply you with guide lines for running meetings, setting up a hierarchy of government, and how to fill out important forms for events. With this comes operating funds [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] for your club from the Student Government Association. Also, as Charlie stated, you will need an Advisor for the club that must be a full-time faculty member.

Good luck to you and I hope all goes well. Keep us informed as to what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

I do know that I will need a faculty advisor and I think I might ask a Recreation Parks and Tourist Admin professor (thats one of the majors at my school RPTA) to be an advisor. Obviously finding someone with a Jeep or other off-road vehicle would be ideal. I have a copy of a sample constitution but was wondering if anyone out there had a copy of one written for an off-road club. Also if there are any club presidents or the such on this board please let me know how you run the club and meetings. I didn't think about the liability issue and had forgotten about the school funds part. A club at WIU needs a minimum membership of 10 people and I don't think that would be too hard to find. My school has an outdoor adventure club as well and I wonder what they do for liability issues. These are all good points I need to research. Thanks for the ideas and keep the rest coming.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 09:35 PM

A couple ideas i have are don't make it jeep specific, jeep clubs are nice but clubs with everything from trackers to 1 ton chevy's on 44's and everything in between have much more flavor and a more well rounded group of people. There's no reason to exclude anyone from a club just because they own a toy instead of a jeep. Also if WIU has an auto program i would try and hook up with one of those professors, you might be able to get your club into the shop for use of all their stuff which would be a lot nicer than doing mods in the parking lot. To advertise the club i'd go out in the parking lots with tons of flyers and hit every 4x4 with low range including trackers and other not so typical 4x4's.

BarrelRoll
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

I was thinking of making it a non-exclusive club. There is an old 4Runner in the lot with 36 inch tires on her which put my CJ to shame but it definately looks like a rig that likes to wheel. Sadly we do not have an auto program or even an auto shop. The school may have a shop they use to fix the schools vehicles, but I really don't know. I would love to be able to put a flyer on every vehicle but its against school policy and also expensive. I think breaking rules while trying to start a club is a bad idea. But thanks for the thoughts.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

BTT
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 10:55 AM
Nickmil

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is to contact a 4 wheel drive association Like United Four Wheel Drive Association. They usually have a packet that helps to get clubs started free of charge. They include things like sample by-laws, paper work for non profit status, etc. When I started a club in the Northwest the Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association gave me one free of charge and it was extremely helpful. Nickmil.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 02:26 PM
Addict

one idea for getting around liablity. the outdoor adventure club at UCF had 2 faces. on one front we did service work, like furnishing bicycles free of charge for students around campus. on the unofficial side, we went rock climbing, SCUBA diving, and a lot of stuff the school wouldnt sponsor. UCF was picky with liability. in the aikido club, we wernt allowed to do throws or anything like that due to liability. So in short, presen the club as a service club, do cleanups and such for officla events, the unoffically meet for wheeling.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 05:11 PM

i came across this, thought they might be able to help you out <a target="_blank" href=http://www.colorado.edu/StudentGroups/4wheel>http://www.colorado.edu/StudentGroups/4wheel</a>

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode