OT-Challenged - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

OT-Challenged

So I'm trying to explain to my co-workers that there are two ways of being challenged. I need your help on the terminology for one of these ways.

One way we are all challenged is by the difficulty of the job or task at hand. This is where our skill, strength, or mental ability is stretched to the max. Whether it be a physical or mental challenge this is the type I think we all accept and look forward to. Without this type of challenge, life would just be boring as hell.

The other type of challenge I'm trying to find the words to describe is when a task or job is difficult, but for the wrong reasons. Meaning, the system is set-up incorrectly or the materials used are of poor quality and fail. I tend to call it a "pain in the arse" challenge.

For instance, we all want to wheel trails that are difficult and challenging, but we want them to be challenging due to nature's obstacles. I assume we all would not want a trail to be challenging due to flat tires from someone losing a box of roofing nails on the trail, right?

Please help me find the word to describe this PITA challenge.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 10:40 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: OT-Challenged

Good points. When trying to describe this problem I usually use the analogy of building vrs remodeling a house. Which is harder to do? Most people understand that remodel is much harder because of all the "gotchaaas" that crop up. It's not a matter of strength, tooling, or intellignece, it's a matter of the unknown and the inability to anticapite all the scenarios to plan/convey a successful conclusion.

Fear of the unknow is the biggest risk, tackeling the unknown requires it to be known... only then can a soulition be formulated and tried. It's the constanat harassment of the unkown that is provoking.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 11:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

'Sounds like either the "challenge of inefficiency" or the "red tape challenge."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 01:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know whats wrong with your co-workers, I think that you explain this very well.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 01:30 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Sounds like the co-workers are challanged. Try using them as examples of what challanged is.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 01:58 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Maybe challenging vs. taxing or frustrating?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 09:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Intervening Constraints are forces that prevent a Participant from engaging in an activity they have chosen.

These influencing factors would include family obligations, income, time, health status, opportunity, and social systemization (ethnicity, gender, and race).

These constraints exist outside the participantsí ability to control and regulate.

There have been studies as to not only why someone would participate in a Liesure activity, but the level that they would participate. An example would be Jeff (H8) would not get the same experience out of running in a Jeep Jamboree because of the level of expertise he has attained. So, chances are that he would not participate in an event like this. At the same time, a beginner would not get the same experience trying to participate in an event at the level Jeff is at until they have became comfortable at that level.

People like to be challenged, but they do not move on to the next level until they have mastered the level before.

The roofing nails would just be another Intervening Constraint.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 12:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

"People like to be challenged, but they do not move on to the next level until they have mastered the level before. "

very well said! However sometimes:

People like to be challenged, but they do not move on to the next level until they have <font color=red> survived </font color=red> the level before.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 05:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thor - yes, I'm talking about the average person wanting to move on to the next level...not those who own Jeeps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode