Locker not locking when lifted - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 09:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Locker not locking when lifted

I raised the rear end of my CJ5 last night to show my brother how to determine gear ratio. I rotated the tire and the lockrite just kept clicking. The passenger side tire would cause the drive line to turn and the drivers side would also click forward or reverse with out turning the drive line. We just had it out climbing so I know it was working. I thought maybe a locker spring broke on the way back so, I started it and put it in first and in reverse and you could not stop either tire from turning by hand like the locker is just fine. Something has changed as when I go through a tech. inspection they lift it up and rotate one tire and they both used to rotate with out any clicking. Is this a sign of wear. The locker is only about 2 years old. Any thoughts would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 09:27 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Locker not locking when lifted

Your locker is working fine.It only locks when power is applied thru the drive shaft, but should free-wheel the rest of the time. The clicking you here is the locker free-wheeling. A Posi-track will feel like the wheels are locked, but an automatic locker doesnt without power applied. Hope this helps...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 10:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That does help a little that you don't think anything is wrong. I'm still wondering why in the past(i.e. Tech inspetions before a trail ride) the turning of one wheel controlled both wheels movement without clicking. Should I be replacing the springs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 11:00 AM
Official Historian

Again, don't worry about it, it's working fine. My lockrights do the same thing. If you look at how it works, it will make sense to you.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 11:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the advise. I'll quit worrying about it. I get a little paranoid about the locker function since I've heard horror stories about one side breaking and causing the Jeep to do a rather quick 180. This along with my brother jabbing me as this was taking place about I should have bought a detroit.

Thanks!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 01:26 AM

howdy,
I recomend that you go to the eaton web page and learn all about it first hand. they have a movie of how a locker works from the inside ( cool solid modeling)

http://www.torquecontrol.eaton.com/product.htm

from the page:
>Posi? Locker? What's up with that? Seems you'd expect an >Eaton Posi system to provide positive traction under any >conditions, right?

>Well, sorta…

>And a locker? Seems a locker should be a differential with >the axles locked together all the time… Makes sense, right?
>
>Again, sorta…

>Obviously, you can't have the rear axles locked together >all the time. That would make turning a corner pretty >tricky. And Eaton Posi? Well, keep in mind that's our >trade name for the finest "limited slip" differential >available on the planet.

>Basically, the difference between the two is this: A >limited slip differential sends power to the non-drive >wheel based on input torque; that is, power coming to the >axle from the engine.

>So, when high torque comes to the differential and both >wheels are on a high traction surface, like a drag strip >or country road, and high torque is delivered to the axle, >the clutch pack clamps the gears to the differential case. >This clamping action is in proportion to the torque >delivered. The higher the torque, the higher the clamping >load.

>The idea here is to prevent wheel slip -- at either wheel -- in the first place. If one wheel starts slipping before >the other, the clamping force drops in proportion to the >torque delivered to the slipping wheel.

>The whole point of the torque sensing limited slip >differential is to reduce the likelihood of wheel slip.

>The locking rear differential locks the drive and non->drive wheels together based on wheel slip at the drive >wheel, regardless of engine power input.

>Want some details on that? To take a quick look at the >difference between these two and figure out what's best >for you click Mechanical Locking Differential or Limited->Slip Differential.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 01:35 AM

http://www.torquecontrol.eaton.com/images/G80.mpg
link to that movie, right ckick to down load

3 megs. windows media player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode